Arizona Chickens

There are many confusing ordinances concerning distance from property line, number of chickens, size of lot, yada, yada, yada. Basically, if none of your neighbors complains, you're good. If they do complain, you're in violation.

It will depend on zoning and also on any deed restrictions on the property. Deed restrictions can come from Homeowner Associations or they can also be applied to properties that are not in HOAs. If you are in a rural type zoning - GR-1 or RH for example - you are probably ok to have roosters if there are no other restrictions on the property. Best way to tell if a neighborhood is rooster-friendly is when your neighbors also have roosters. Good luck.

I have a question.
I have two 4 week old chicks in my bed room and they have a lamp with just a regular lightbulb mostly for lighting purposes. But my question is will they be ok if I have the window open at night in my room? It's 45-50 degrees at night where I am, and the top of their box is mostly covered.

You might want to post this in a more general part of the forum, this is an Arizona specific thread.
Watch the chicks. If they huddle directly under the light or in a corner, there's not enough heat. If they sit a few inches away from the light and look comfortable they should be fine.

I'm also from Arizona :)

for the Maricopa county

it's still illegal in some cities while other cities are ok with backyard chickens

Gilbert allowed houses with lot size around 6000-8000 sq ft to keep chickens (2014)-- up to 5 hens (NO rooster)
Mesa is ok
Phoenix is ok
Chandler is still NO
Glendale is considering it
etc..

depends on your city just check their "code compliance" section.. they should have a section regarding fowls/livestock + calling the code compliance department directly

They are trying to pass a state law to allow people to raise chickens-- but HOA law is still the supreme law of your community
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...k-to-allow-chickens-in-every-backyard-6633724

Last edited:
I have a question.
I have two 4 week old chicks in my bed room and they have a lamp with just a regular lightbulb mostly for lighting purposes. But my question is will they be ok if I have the window open at night in my room? It's 45-50 degrees at night where I am, and the top of their box is mostly covered.

They should be fine. At four weeks the chicks should be fairly well feathered out. I put mine out with no heat when they are fully feathered - 4-6 weeks for most of my chicks. The broodies I've had sat on the chicks until they were 6-8 weeks old, then left them to their own devices.

I'm in southern Arizona.

My silkie chicken has gone broody again....
but something has gone wrong this time, i think

I went out to check on her yesterday, and her vent on the outside was very dry and brittle, while the inside is almost a bloody moist pink (She is a silkie, so the skin of her vent is a dark purple, but as it is dry, it is now a dark black) I checked on her again today, after applying bacatracin yesterday, and it was worse! is was leaking green poo and she had pasty butt.

I gave her a bath today, and there were ants in the pasty butt!!

The ants are gone now, but her vent remains the same.... dry on the outside, and slightly bloody on the inside. it is as if the skin on the outside of her vent and separated form the cloaca on the inside....

please help me? I am going to try applying coconut oil tonight and pipetting some water into her system after I have blow dried her clean (doing this as I type)

I don't know what to do, or if this is something she will need more professional help for.....

So far 4 out of my 13 hens have gone broody and I know have about 80-100 chicks
1f631.png
it happens if I don't keep track ....I will be selling a lot and only keeping a few of the chicks

Back
Top Bottom