Arizona Chickens

I have the 2 gallon water founts and they seem to work pretty good. I put ice in them when I get home from work and the birds seem to like it. Featherpugs - I've been taking your advice with the pans of water and the gals are always standing in them when it's extra hot, like today. That was a truly excellent idea and I thank you for it. I've been washing my water founts out every evening when the gals are in bed and I haven't had any problems with rust or anything but of course mine are only about 6 months old. I also got two of those Brite Tap Chicken Waterers that I installed on Igloo 5 gallon coolers and I fill those with ice too. The water stays cold all day and clean since there's no way any fertilizer or dirt can get in there. I'm confident we'll get through the summer ok but I guess Saturday will be the first really hot day my gals will encounter. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and I think we'll be alright. I'm sure back in the day the chickens did fine and there wasn't even cold water during the turn of the century.

I have the Harris Farms 5 gallon easy fill waterers, and I'm pretty happy with them. They are easy to fill, and easy to clean. The drawbacks are you can't hang them, and they need to be kept level, I have them on wooden platforms.
Since they have such a large top, its pretty easy to toss in a frozen 1 gallon milk bottle when you're filling them.

Having trouble uploading a pic, but just google Harris farms, and you should find it. They carry them at Tractor supply.

Last edited:
I think I overdid it on the baby chicks. I'm a bad chickie mama. But they were so cute I couldn't resist. So now I have 4 australorps, 4 EE mixes, and 10 bantam Cochins. Half of which I'm sure are roosters. And I only need 9 to fill out my 20 allowed chickens.

I have the Harris Farms 5 gallon easy fill waterers, and I'm pretty happy with them. They are easy to fill, and easy to clean. The drawbacks are you can't hang them, and they need to be kept level, I have them on wooden platforms.
Since they have such a large top, its pretty easy to toss in a frozen 1 gallon milk bottle when you're filling them.

Having trouble uploading a pic, but just google Harris farms, and you should find it. They carry them at Tractor supply.

Are the chickens able to sit on top of it and poop in the water?

Are the chickens able to sit on top of it and poop in the water?
That's a good question! Can they poop in them? ?

Quote: I could never limit myself like that XD I've become that one crazy chicken lady. Thank goodness I live outside of Tucson city limits. I own 13 chickens, and I still want more every day XD

Unfortunately I have to wait till i'm allowed to move out, because My mother hates the 13 that I have. 3 of those 13 don't even live at my house. They are on school property until I can afford to move to Washington.

Ugh, 112 degrees predicted for here on Saturday. Every year I lose at least one male that is housed in my small 4'x4' bachelor pens from the heat, due to their design. So last night in the dark, I moved 9 of them into the bigger pens. Two pens had been emptied out so put 2 Ameraucana cocks in one and 3 Black Copper Marans cocks in another. Then added 2 Barred Rocks to 3 existing BR males. And one Black Copper Marans went in with 2 others and a Barred Rock. One Rhode Island Red went in with 3 hens. This afternoon, the only one showing any problem was one of the Barred Rocks that went in with 3 others. His comb was bloodied and he was hiding in a corner. So I put him in with the 2 Ameraucanas, he is bigger than they are and hopefully will hold his own in there.

5 more males in single pens--going to try to add them to others tonight and see how they get along. I might still lose a bird in this heat, but at least they have a better chance where they can move around more.

Back
Top Bottom