Arizona Chickens

There are Arizona chicken groups on Facebook too. Arizona Backyard Chickens is one that I belong to. People have chickens for sale on there all the time.
Thanks much for sharing that info - I didn't think to look there. I'm not big on social media but I do talk to relatives overseas that exclusively use Facebook. Anyway I took a look and you were right. I found AZ Chicken Raisers and they have lots of birds for sale on there. I really wish I had a Barred Rock cockerel for my gals but I don't think it would be easy to integrate one at this point now that my pullets are going on 7 months old and seem to have their order set pretty well. Now that they're laying good I kinda hate to throw a wrench in the machine. I don't know if I'm over-thinking it or not and maybe it would be ok to put a cock in eye ball view so they get used to him and then introduce him supervised for a couple of sessions to see how things go. While their universe seems to be in good order to me, I frequently catch them trying to mate each other every once in awhile so I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a cock for their sake. I probably should give it a go to get some practice because I want to start a breeding flock in the near future that will be separate from my layers, and if I'm going to get involved in that I'll be integrating roosters frequently. I'm just thinking out loud I guess but I do wish I had a rooster out there.

Thanks much for sharing that info - I didn't think to look there. I'm not big on social media but I do talk to relatives overseas that exclusively use Facebook. Anyway I took a look and you were right. I found AZ Chicken Raisers and they have lots of birds for sale on there. I really wish I had a Barred Rock cockerel for my gals but I don't think it would be easy to integrate one at this point now that my pullets are going on 7 months old and seem to have their order set pretty well. Now that they're laying good I kinda hate to throw a wrench in the machine. I don't know if I'm over-thinking it or not and maybe it would be ok to put a cock in eye ball view so they get used to him and then introduce him supervised for a couple of sessions to see how things go. While their universe seems to be in good order to me, I frequently catch them trying to mate each other every once in awhile so I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a cock for their sake. I probably should give it a go to get some practice because I want to start a breeding flock in the near future that will be separate from my layers, and if I'm going to get involved in that I'll be integrating roosters frequently. I'm just thinking out loud I guess but I do wish I had a rooster out there.

Are you committed to a Barred Rock rooster or will you consider other breeds?

Does anybody have a marans rooster ,I'm wanting to buy about 2 ,I will consider all colours ,I really want a black or blue one though ...
I am also wanting some females or chicks.
I want to start a marans breeding group
I all ready have 2 adult hens and a rooster ,I also have about 20 chicks that I will start my project with if any one is interested ,we could share eggs ,trade ,buy ,and sell our birds ..
Let me know if any one is interested thanks :)

Well, it would be nice to have a BR so maybe I could get some practice hatching a few to start my breeding stock, but then again I'm not hatching anything now so I guess any rooster similar to a BR would be better than none. My second choice would probably be a White Leghorn since I have 9 leghorn pullets. But if I could get a BR that would be nice. I'm not into the more exotic varieties like silkies - I'm more of a heritage breed kinda guy. Sorry if I sound wishy-washy about it but part of the reason is because I'm a little nervous about introducing a new bird to the flock. If I had more confidence/experience I'd be a lot more committed but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Well, it would be nice to have a BR so maybe I could get some practice hatching a few to start my breeding stock, but then again I'm not hatching anything now so I guess any rooster similar to a BR would be better than none. My second choice would probably be a White Leghorn since I have 9 leghorn pullets. But if I could get a BR that would be nice. I'm not into the more exotic varieties like silkies - I'm more of a heritage breed kinda guy. Sorry if I sound wishy-washy about it but part of the reason is because I'm a little nervous about introducing a new bird to the flock. If I had more confidence/experience I'd be a lot more committed but I guess you gotta start somewhere.  

OK, here is some info you need to know. If you cross a barred Rock with a Leghorn, the resulting cross is a California Gray. If you then take the California Gray and cross it back to a Leghorn, the result is a California White. These are sex linked crosses, and the CW roosters will be pure white, and visually indistinguishable from a Leghorn. The pullets, however, will be white with scattered black spots (sparse). The overall body shape follows the Leghorn, so these are layers, not meat birds. I currently have a small batch of barred Rock chicks, and some are undoubtedly males, but they are only 3 weeks old right now.
I am also growing out a batch of California Whites, 1 rooster and 10 or 12 pullets, but they have not started laying yet. They are supposed to lay white eggs. They are attractive, small birds, but I can't say yet anything about their productivity.

OK, here is some info you need to know. If you cross a barred Rock with a Leghorn, the resulting cross is a California Gray. If you then take the California Gray and cross it back to a Leghorn, the result is a California White. These are sex linked crosses, and the CW roosters will be pure white, and visually indistinguishable from a Leghorn. The pullets, however, will be white with scattered black spots (sparse). The overall body shape follows the Leghorn, so these are layers, not meat birds. I currently have a small batch of barred Rock chicks, and some are undoubtedly males, but they are only 3 weeks old right now.
I am also growing out a batch of California Whites, 1 rooster and 10 or 12 pullets, but they have not started laying yet. They are supposed to lay white eggs. They are attractive, small birds, but I can't say yet anything about their productivity.
Thanks Cyborg - very much appreciate the info. That's really good to know.

If you're interested in a really good bloodline of outstanding BRs, I would suggest you contact @desertmarcy . I know I've sung her praises here before, but her birds really are quite exceptional.

If you're interested in a really good bloodline of outstanding BRs, I would suggest you contact @desertmarcy . I know I've sung her praises here before, but her birds really are quite exceptional.
Ok, thanks Desert Chick. I'm waiting for a reply from a gal on Arizona Chicken Raisers that has one that's almost a year old. She had two but only has one left. At first I told her I'm on the fence about getting a rooster but after about 30 seconds of thinking about it I decided I want to get him. I know, I'm a really deep thinker when it comes to getting more chickens. I want to get in touch with desertmarcy though because I want 2-3 roosters when I finish my breeding coop/runs, and I'd sure like to get the best birds I can. Thanks again for the lead.

Ok, thanks Desert Chick. I'm waiting for a reply from a gal on Arizona Chicken Raisers that has one that's almost a year old. She had two but only has one left. At first I told her I'm on the fence about getting a rooster but after about 30 seconds of thinking about it I decided I want to get him. I know, I'm a really deep thinker when it comes to getting more chickens. I want to get in touch with desertmarcy though because I want 2-3 roosters when I finish my breeding coop/runs, and I'd sure like to get the best birds I can. Thanks again for the lead.

I lost quite a few Barred Rock hens to the extreme heat this month, so I'm keeping all the rest I have. I didn't hatch any this year, just took the year off hatching chicks to concentrate on my turkeys. I hope to resume hatching this fall or winter, I've held back 5 males, one won Super Show Champion in Safford in January, and Champion American at Apache County Show in Feb, and several of his brothers are also nice birds, so I'll be setting up multiple breeding pens of this. This is my Show Champion
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom