Arizona Chickens

Anyone near kingman have any newly hatched chicks? Looking for Americana or Easter egger or auto sexing chicks. I have a broody and do to the heat wave we had her eggs did not make it. Even though I took the eggs she won't get off the nest so I need some chicks for her. I am not looking for show quality just barnyard free range happy chickens

I don't have Easter Eggers, but I do have olive Eggers.

I am so glad it has rained the last week. We have lost 4 hens this year to the heat. This with a fan and frozen treats and double water. Short of bringing them in the house, I don't know how to make it better. So frustrating.

I am so glad it has rained the last week. We have lost 4 hens this year to the heat. This with a fan and frozen treats and double water. Short of bringing them in the house, I don't know how to make it better. So frustrating.
Hey there neighbor. I didn't know there was anyone else on here so close.

The one thing I think has helped my birds the most through the heat was wading pans. I took the advice of another member on this thread and bought some oil drain pans at Walmart and filled them with water every morning before I head off to work, and then I change the water in them once I get home. I also have two water founts, two coolers with Brite-Tap waterers, and a misting system, but they seem to use and enjoy the wading pans the most. The misting system didn't work out too good because about four of my hens wouldn't leave the coop for the attached run where the mister is located. I think they hated the water more than being hot. So I stopped the mister and now they're universe is back in order. The wading pans seem to keep them reasonably comfortable even when we had those couple of days in the 110's.

What kind of birds do you have? I have Leghorns and Barred Rocks. The Leghorns don't seem to be bothered by the heat hardly at all. I still catch them raising their wings once in awhile to let the air flow through but that's the only sign I see from them. They pant less than the Barred Rocks, and the BR's spend more time in the wading pans. Both have done surprisingly well in the heat though. I keep them in a secure coop and run that has a corrugated metal roof. I'll be glad when the heat passes though. The Leghorns have laid very steadily though the worst days but the Barred Rocks reduced output when it got above 110.

Anyway, glad to know there's someone nearby. I hope your gals make it through the rest of the summer ok.

Back
Top Bottom