Arizona Chickens

From Moms3cuties:

Hey Bobby, how are you doing?

do you have a flock of chickens now? I remember when you had big building plans!

My plans have been put on hold for quite a while.  However, I'M RETIRING IN THREE WEEKS!, so I'll get back to screening in the remainder of my run.  The coop keeps getting redesigned, so it will come later.

That is soooo cool.    :cd
Wish I had enough space to do something like that.... 
:yiipchick     Even a bench to sit and watch them.... I really  like that!
x2 that is turning out really neat Bobby, thanks for inspiring the rest of us! if I ever move from here maybe I'll get a chance to build something nice :D
Thank you again for sharing with us!!

-By the way I have no( HOA)-homeowners assassination here yet, but we do have a city assassination crew it comes around if you know what I mean! lol and grrrr

Last edited:
I got an "Australorp" from Arizona Feeds today
1f602.png
$4 for a blue Silkie, not bad

congrats on your silkie, someday I'll get one of those too! ;)

Mmm just keep the astralorps. . Like a cool pet. Lol. Leghorns are your egg layers. I have white rock hens. Soo friendly. Trying to find time to eat my red rooster. Just bhavnt done it yet. But that bird just keep it alive very cool looking

Everyone has their own taste in things, and that's why there's something for every one.
yep that sounds about right I think there's something for everyone. Plenty of nice breeds to choose from for backyard flock :D

It's a gorgeous morning...and I feel like bragging a little.
wink.png
I just want to share some photos of one of my currently favorite young cockerels, roughly 12 weeks old. His name is Andres (the Giant) and he's a unique mixed breed with White Rock, Ameraucana and Dorking blood...but look at that coloring!!!!

Here he is, front and center in his current pen with his Silver Grey Dorking and one Naked Neck flock mates. I never expected to see the lacing on his chest!

That lacing only appears consistently on his chest.

I've always loved blue/silver chickens and was thrilled to find him feathering out this way, but he also has punches of other colors throughout his body.

His back is feathering in with a peachy color mixed with silver and cream.

And his wings include splashes of deep, coppery red.

I thought his father, Monty, was gorgeous, but this boy is even more spectacular that his daddy!
Here's Dad when he was a bit younger:

Monty's tail and body have filled out considerably since I took this photo, but right now he refuses to be photographed.
smile.png

It's a gorgeous morning...and I feel like bragging a little. ;) I just want to share some photos of one of my currently favorite young cockerels, roughly 12 weeks old. His name is Andres (the Giant) and he's a unique mixed breed with White Rock, Ameraucana and Dorking blood...but look at that coloring!!!! Here he is, front and center in his current pen with his Silver Grey Dorking and one Naked Neck flock mates. I never expected to see the lacing on his chest! That lacing only appears consistently on his chest. I've always loved blue/silver chickens and was thrilled to find him feathering out this way, but he also has punches of other colors throughout his body. His back is feathering in with a peachy color mixed with silver and cream. And his wings include splashes of deep, coppery red. I thought his father, Monty, was gorgeous, but this boy is even more spectacular that his daddy! Here's Dad when he was a bit younger: Monty's tail and body have filled out considerably since I took this photo, but right now he refuses to be photographed. :)
That laced boy is stunning! How big is he?

That laced boy is stunning! How big is he?

The last time I weighed him was at 10 weeks and he weighed in at a whopping 3.54 lbs already! He's one of the biggest and fastest growing boys I've bred, and incredibly calm and sweet. He just walks over to me and makes this one sound to indicate he wants attention. Then I lift him onto my lap and he makes these sweet cooing sounds as he settles in to relax while being pet. The entire flock he's part of is like that.

Did you see my big NN boy, Lenny, in the first photo? He's showing a lot of red barring like Raymond had, but he's much, much bigger for his age.

The last time I weighed him was at 10 weeks and he weighed in at a whopping 3.54 lbs already! He's one of the biggest and fastest growing boys I've bred, and incredibly calm and sweet. He just walks over to me and makes this one sound to indicate he wants attention. Then I lift him onto my lap and he makes these sweet cooing sounds as he settles in to relax while being pet. The entire flock he's part of is like that. 

Did you see my big  NN boy, Lenny, in the first photo? He's showing a lot of red barring like Raymond had, but he's much, much bigger for his age.

They are both extremely beautiful! I need to get more eggs from you some time!

What are your plans with those 2 boys?

They are both extremely beautiful! I need to get more eggs from you some time!

What are your plans with those 2 boys?

I'm planning to cross Monty with a few of my NN girls, especially the green and blue egg layers since he also carries that gene. Crossing him with my buff barred NN hen, Cocoa Puffs, who also carries the green egg gene could result in some very pretty chicks. Lenny will remain part of my NN breeding for meat program.

Andres I'm not entirely sure about yet. He's still pretty young.

My next focused breeding will revolve around crossing my NNs with my Dark Cornish mixes to improve breast size. I'll probably put Heisenberg in with my Cornish-mix hen and my White Rocks and WR-mixed hens.

My DC-mixed cockerels will also need to be crossed with some NN hens/pullets before the heat sets in. There's no way my massive boy, Tubbs, will survive another summer out here.

He weighed in at 13 lbs the day I took this photo. The other day I thought he'd died. He was right outside my bedroom sliding door, flat on his back. I ran out to him in full distress, only to find him looking up at me as if to say, "A little help here?". I'm guessing he tried to breed my NN hen, Zen, who's VERY particular about which of the boys may touch her, and she probably kicked his butt. He's SO big that once he was on his back he simply couldn't get upright again without help, LOL!

I'm planning to cross Monty with a few of my NN girls, especially the green and blue egg layers since he also carries that gene. Crossing him with my buff barred NN hen, Cocoa Puffs, who also carries the green egg gene could result in some very pretty chicks. Lenny will remain part of my NN breeding for meat program.

Andres I'm not entirely sure about yet. He's still pretty young.

My next focused breeding will revolve around crossing my NNs with my Dark Cornish mixes to improve breast size. I'll probably put Heisenberg in with my Cornish-mix hen and my White Rocks and WR-mixed hens.

My DC-mixed cockerels will also need to be crossed with some NN hens/pullets before the heat sets in. There's no way my massive boy, Tubbs, will survive another summer out here.

He weighed in at 13 lbs the day I took this photo. The other day I thought he'd died. He was right outside my bedroom sliding door, flat on his back. I ran out to him in full distress, only to find him looking up at me as if to say, "A little help here?". I'm guessing he tried to breed my NN hen, Zen, who's VERY particular about which of the boys may touch her, and she probably kicked his butt. He's SO big that once he was on his back he simply couldn't get upright again without help, LOL!
Gosh, he's a big fella - 13 lbs - wow! If I get a chance tomorrow I'll have to take a picture of three of the NN cockerels I have now. They're the biggest, most muscular birds I've ever owned at their young age of 3 1/2 months. They're hatchery birds too - never expected to get anything that robust. They're not aggressive or anything, in fact they're very friendly, but nobody bothers them at all. Initially I was thinking to only keep the one best but I think I'd like to keep all three to see how they progress. I'm really impressed with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom