Arizona Chickens

Many of the feed stores use the hatcheries when the get chicks, but some of them are also starting to look for local breeders in the area. What breed of chicks are you looking for? There may be one of our members here who is a local breeder that you might be able to get some from if you were looking to get the breed that they might have.

I think there might be a few around here. Unfortunately for me, bantams & crested are hard to find. Especially my crevecoeur.

On a different note: ducks? East Indian for bantam size? Anyone have experience? Can I raise with chicks? Free range with chicks? Read about drakes being an issue-is that accurate in experience?

I've got to get some girls for my boys. So I'm thinking of ordering soon. I'm waiting to get my bantams & cresteds. Figured might take on the ducks.

Plus, I think I need those aprons as the bantam boys with the larger girls is resulting in missing-damaged feathers. Anyone experience with those?

Thanks!

Many of the feed stores use the hatcheries when the get chicks, but some of them are also starting to look for local breeders in the area. What breed of chicks are you looking for? There may be one of our members here who is a local breeder that you might be able to get some from if you were looking to get the breed that they might have.

I was looking for ameraucanas and marans , but if I can find none I will order form privett

There are great breeders of both Ameraucanas and Marans around AZ but remember local chicks hatched will be half boys and half girls. Hatchery chicks are often lesser quality than privately bred stock (from "show" breeders I mean) but the hatchery can send you all girls if you want. Just depends on if you want a lot of chickens for selling eggs, or if you are looking for just a few and may want to show - everyone has different goals.

There are also a few ads on Craigslist for hatching eggs and of those breeds right now. If you want to get an incubator the cost is higher up front, the cheapest incubators are about $40 but it can save money if you use it regularly. Not cost effective if used once, really, but can be especially if you get a pure breed and increase your flock by hatching your own peeps.

Orders from most hatcheries (including Privett) run about $70 for a box of chicks of most breeds - minimum order is 25 chicks so that is kind of what it ends up costing when everything is said and done. You can sell the extras pretty easy on Craigslist when they are a week or two old. Won't really make a profit but it will help reduce the overall cost.

Hello All,

Long time since I have been on. Lots of changes have gone on in my life in the last 2 years. Sadly I must rehome my 9 month old Speckled Sussex, Antonio. He needs more ladies to love and wide open space to patrol. He is beginning to become aggressive. He was a sweet boy just until recently. I have 3 hens who he grew up with and older hens who will not give him the time of day.

I would like a rehoming fee of $20.00 obo. Please private message me if interested. I live in the west valley, 101 and Olive.

Thank you,

Chris

Chris, would you mind if I did a right-click and save of this photo? I would like to use it for a web site I'll be doing comparing some different breeds. I just need a photo of a Sussex rooster and you can "borrow" them from Wikipedia if it's for informational / educational purposes, but it would be much nicer to have my own to use with permission.

Hi, Anyone know of anyone in Arizona that has Ayam Cemani's? My wife's 50th is in a few days and would love to get her some eggs to hatch in her new Brinsea 28 EX. Would prefer local over shipped. She has been talking about the Ayam Cemani's for awhile so what better occasion than a 50th to drop the cash for these special birds.

Hi, Anyone know of anyone in Arizona that has Ayam Cemani's? My wife's 50th is in a few days and would love to get her some eggs to hatch in her new Brinsea 28 EX. Would prefer local over shipped. She has been talking about the Ayam Cemani's for awhile so what better occasion than a 50th to drop the cash for these special birds.
I saw them on the Arizona Chicken Raisers Facebook page a while back. I don't remember the details of who had them but I'm sure they're there. I don't know if you belong to the group or not and can post but if not you can join and ask. They're pretty active and I'm sure you'd get a timely response.

Hi, Anyone know of anyone in Arizona that has Ayam Cemani's?  My wife's 50th is in a few days and would love to get her some eggs to hatch in her new Brinsea 28 EX.  Would prefer local over shipped.  She has been talking about the Ayam Cemani's for awhile so what better occasion than a 50th to drop the cash for these special birds.

I'm trying to get into breeding them, but they are still chicks.

Over Easy Chicken ranch doesn't have Cemani's, but does have Svart Hona chicks which are a close relative.

Chris, would you mind if I did a right-click and save of this photo? I would like to use it for a web site I'll be doing comparing some different breeds. I just need a photo of a Sussex rooster and you can "borrow" them from Wikipedia if it's for informational / educational purposes, but it would be much nicer to have my own to use with permission.

I sent you a pm

I don't know much about these guys personally, but they are from AZ and they have Ayam Cemanis listed as one of their breeds:
http://rarebirdfarm.vpweb.com/chickens

Back
Top Bottom