Arizona Chickens

The Easter eggers, golden sex links and the rir are 4 months and a week or two, the barred and the only new Hampshire are knocking at the door of 6 months but are molting it seems. Feathers from them are shedding like crazy. The barred roo I have lost his long tail feathers, his tail looks like the "rock on" sign. Lol, pun intended.
I need to find a chart for when my brats will get to point of lay. I think one of the major hatcheries had one. Mine are about 14 weeks right now.

we are almost done with the new bubus outside home! we sectioned off a part of the 360, put up shade and a house double the size of the others, its almost done and these little ones can't wait.
Last night was the first night they spent without the lamp, 15 of the 19 roosted on top of the brooder lol

@Tbarr334 I always use the 18 week mark for my time frames. You can finally give them layer feed and they are checking out the nest boxes. Usually within a 2 to 3 week time period you get little eggs. You have 3 that are close. I don't know about the molting thing - it is a bit late for that and your birds shouldn't molt until after they are a year old. I would check for mites, just in case, as I remember they sometimes cause feather loss. The others sound like they are about ready to be big girls. Are they getting enough light? I know I am still using my timer for the 14 hours of light thing. Just a few musings that might make sense and be of use. Soon you will have eggs, soon.

I will check for mites, they've been shedding feathers for a couple of days after that quick cold spell we had.

There should be plenty of light it's an open coop, no roof no walls just wire.

I don't see any signs of mites, poops are normal, etc etc. Only thing is she has started getting a bit cranky lately.

Attachments

• IMG_20180309_085628.jpg
    IMG_20180309_085628.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 2
I started on lock-down today for my hatching due on the 29th. More chicks on the way!
Grats! Actually had a question regarding brooding lol. My girls are now, between 18, producing an average of a dozen eggs a day total from both flocks...Im stoked lol, but now, when I remove their eggs, one or two of my hens stand at the nest and almost cry lol, sounds funny I know. So we left the eggs in the nest, was 9 in there a day ago, today there is 13, but nobody actively sitting. Are they maybe just getting into feeling motherhood, so to speak? Not sure which way to go. Thanks guys, and welcome to all our newer AZ members! Im in casa grande btw

Back
Top Bottom