Arizona Chickens

Ok I gotta ask...
How do chickens get Samonella? IF they have it, does it pass? how long would they have it or is it permanent
My son just had a MAJOR stomache upset, and the only thing he had different from the rest of us, was eating his eggs sunnyside up...

@nicollee This is a great question that I have been wondering about as well. I couldn't really find any good info online. Hopefully someone here will have a good answer. I have been paranoid about everything I eat since becoming pregnant, especially with the e.coli outbreak in romaine lettuce. I've even limited my handling of the chickens, which bums me out but I used to hug and cuddle them lol so now I just pick them up if I need to and give them little scratches and pets here and there. I hope your son is feeling better now and we can get some sound advice on this subject.

I think salmonella is a normal flora for a chicken as E. coli is for us. It is transmitted by n their stool. If you have a low immunity etc you could get infected and become sick. But if healthy you may feel off for a day and then it passes. Just don’t wipe your chickens butt and lick your fingers.

I have a black silkie roo 5 weeks old. Just hatched 2 more on Wednesday so need to find homes for them. I thought I would start here before I go to Craig’s list.

Ok I gotta ask...
How do chickens get Samonella? IF they have it, does it pass? how long would they have it or is it permanent
My son just had a MAJOR stomache upset, and the only thing he had different from the rest of us, was eating his eggs sunnyside up...

Less than a 10th of a percent of salmonella outbreaks occur as a result of consuming home-grown eggs. Salmonella exists naturally in our environment, including our chicken environment. The last thing a hen's body does before laying an egg is to coat it with a natural antibacterial 'film' that prevents salmonella contamination. The reason salmonella infection is so prevalent with store-bought eggs is because they wash this protective coating off, and then spray the eggs with a chemical disinfectant that simply isn't as protective as what Mother Nature created. Additionally, store-bought eggs are weeks to even months old, compared to fresh eggs from your own chicken yard. The longer eggs sit, the greater the risk of bacterial proliferation.

The greatest likelihood of salmonella poisoning from home grown eggs results from poor sanitary conditions (dirty nesting boxes and poopy eggs that aren't cleaned and chilled properly or consumed very quickly), eggs from unhealthy hens in which the bacteria has proliferated and infected the hen's egg production system, consumption of cracked eggs that have not been chilled sufficiently or consumed early enough to avoid bacterial proliferation, and eggs that have not been collected frequently enough in excessively hot and/or hot + humid weather.

My husband and I consume raw eggs on a regular basis and have never had salmonella poisoning from my girls' eggs. Is it possible that the eggs your son ate gave him the green apple quick step? Sure, but as long as your birds are healthy and you practice common sense maintenance, it's not likely.

Hi AZ folks. Hope you're all staying cool this weekend. Hubs is out getting the mister for the girls today. I chopped up a cucumber and added some chopped mint and put in the freezer for a cool snack. Tomorrow will be frozen blueberries with dill.

Speaking of chicken snacks, since they can no longer access the grape bush we actually have some grapes this year :yesss:We had to cover the top too so wild birds don't steal everything.

Have a great weekend :frow

@meetthebubus have you used the a/c for your girls yet?

Back
Top Bottom