Arizona Chickens

Hope the world is treating everyone okay. It has been very quiet here - must be spring and the projects are in full swing!! I have a project that I want to try out and I'm thinking it will work. This is my way of trying to grow grass without the chickies eating it all up root and all! I'm going to build a 4x2 frame - whatever size - I have different ones - cover it with welded wire (I think) and put it over where I've planted the grass or forage seed. I've tried with smaller boards and the welded wire size but in a covered type stuff and that stretches - maybe it won't stretch enough with the 4 x 2 being higher than a 1x2. The chickies don't reach down so far to scratch it fescue grass out but they are taking the whole thing out root and all - so thus the new try with the 4x2 and welded wire. The fescue gets very tall as well as other forage grasses so they will probably keep the green a little longer - got all sorts of things crossed here hoping it works!

Hope the world is treating everyone okay. It has been very quiet here - must be spring and the projects are in full swing!! I have a project that I want to try out and I'm thinking it will work. This is my way of trying to grow grass without the chickies eating it all up root and all! I'm going to build a 4x2 frame - whatever size - I have different ones - cover it with welded wire (I think) and put it over where I've planted the grass or forage seed. I've tried with smaller boards and the welded wire size but in a covered type stuff and that stretches - maybe it won't stretch enough with the 4 x 2 being higher than a 1x2. The chickies don't reach down so far to scratch it fescue grass out but they are taking the whole thing out root and all - so thus the new try with the 4x2 and welded wire. The fescue gets very tall as well as other forage grasses so they will probably keep the green a little longer - got all sorts of things crossed here hoping it works!

I hope you find something that work's for you.

It's just been so nice outside that I have been spending more time out there observing the flock. I've also keeping an eye on my incubator because I have a hatch due next week.

I've been working a lot...too much. I try to spend more time outside with the flocks and working on the garden, but I keep getting stuck at work.

received_599802620490605.jpeg
Hi Ladies & Gentlemen.. I'm sure there is a more appropriate forum for this, but I don't have a clue what, a friend took these of some chickens that she's babysitting, she said that she's seen them picking, all I could find googling was low protein. Anyone know what's up and what to do about it?

I don’t know what is going on but that looks awful.
I've thought about molting, but isn't that whole body and during the fall ? I've googled and came up with low protein, so I am going to get her some game feed to raise it. I know they'll fight and peck to get the pecking order resolved, but can it get to the point of this? there is no rooster, so it's not him getting carried away.

Back
Top Bottom