Arizona Chickens

I've been saving egg shells to feed back to my hens because they won't eat oyster shells.
How small should I crush them? So far they are not showing any interest in egg shell either.
I have at least one sometimes two that are laying thin or broken eggs

I've been saving egg shells to feed back to my hens because they won't eat oyster shells.
How small should I crush them? So far they are not showing any interest in egg shell either.
I have at least one sometimes two that are laying thin or broken eggs
I feed back all the chickens' egg shells. I just step on the shells on the ground with my foot. I offer oyster shells free-choice. That dish pile goes down slow, but does get consumed. Chickens seem to know what they need. There is also calcium in greens that they pick up. My yard lawn is plenty grass, and other greens.
I sometimes throw in a tablespoon of oyster shells into their feed. It does get consumed , but usually there is some left on bottom of feed dish, while all the feed is gone.
If you want to somewhat involuntarily have them consume extra calcium,,, finely crush the egg shells and feed in wet, or fermented feed.

I feed back all the chickens' egg shells. I just step on the shells on the ground with my foot. I offer oyster shells free-choice. That dish pile goes down slow, but does get consumed. Chickens seem to know what they need. There is also calcium in greens that they pick up. My yard lawn is plenty grass, and other greens.
I sometimes throw in a tablespoon of oyster shells into their feed. It does get consumed , but usually there is some left on bottom of feed dish, while all the feed is gone.
If you want to somewhat involuntarily have them consume extra calcium,,, finely crush the egg shells and feed in wet, or fermented feed.

I rinse out all of my egg shell's and then let them dry over night. Then I crush them up pretty good because I don't want them getting stuck in the throats with those sharp edges. I make wet feed with them in for the adult's. The chick's get their own separate wet feed. I add the vitamin and electrolytes to wet the feed twice a week. They go crazy for it.

:loveWith little ones time goes very fast... She is beautiful:love Enjoy every second with her, she will be running :weebefore you know it. And I enjoy seeing pics of our families, feathered, furred, or people.

Down to five hens.... good number for my backyard, but I always want more.... I just wish they would get up in the middle of the night to eat the palmetto bugs...
I get busy and can't always get on here. Right now I'm struggling to type with one hand, since, I'm off work for ten days to recover from carpal tunnel surgery

:lau love it. He definetly earned that name!!!

Palmetto bugs are gross, I would wish that too! More chickens? Who doesn't want more chickens?

I understand busy, but I'm glad you stopped in to let us know you're doing ok. I hope you heal well and fast!

What I've been doing is I keep one of those fat 29 oz cans you get refried beans or tomato sauce in by the stove and all the egg shells go in it. After 24 hours and they've dried out completely and crush up very easy. In the winter I rinse them out because with the cooler temps they take longer to dry out and risk mold and bacteria and stuff, but this time of year they dry out fast. I keep a bottle with the can specifically for crushing. It works out very well.
0329191801.jpg
0329191801a.jpg

View attachment 1821159 View attachment 1821159 View attachment 1821159 Finally got my sweet baby chicks! We already love them so much and a handful of them are real cuddle bugs already. They are loving this warm weather and don’t seem stressed at all! They are a variety of colorful egg layers from Meyers hatchery along with 1 Easter Egger rooster. Any guesses on who is what? Too fun!

I bet that black one in the front with that big yellowish-white dot on it's head is a boy.

View attachment 1821159 View attachment 1821159 View attachment 1821159 Finally got my sweet baby chicks! We already love them so much and a handful of them are real cuddle bugs already. They are loving this warm weather and don’t seem stressed at all! They are a variety of colorful egg layers from Meyers hatchery along with 1 Easter Egger rooster. Any guesses on who is what? Too fun!
I bet that black one in the front with that big yellowish-white dot on it's head is a boy.[/QUOTE
I bet that black one in the front with that big yellowish-white dot on it's head is a boy.
That is very possible. It’s a little bigger than most and a bit bossy, but loves to sit on my hand.

Back
Top Bottom