Arizona Chickens

image.jpg image.jpg
It look's ok. Make sure they have shade, food, and plenty of water so they don't get dehydrated.
Baby update: The chicks are having a blast in their more roomy accommodations!

Some times it's hard to catch up...

@FeatherPugs sending strength, and prayers....

Have you tried mixing some crushed egg shell's into some wet feed for them?
I just haven't done fermented food, The younger hens seem to be ok, it's just the old EE that lays really soft or no shell eggs. Can overfeeding calcium by adding it in for the others cause them any harm?

. ...... :(
....... hatching eggs, Spoon, ,...........then turned broody Sunday).
Thanks!!
So sorry for your loss it's always hard,,, Be careful in the heat letting her hatch, I've let two hens try to hatch in the heat and I won't do it again... Bad hatch rates, shrink wrapped chicks.... I know some people have success, but not me...
Last summer we did something different, we got eggs from BlueBaby almost ready to hatch... I moved my hen indoors, and she hatched the eggs.... without incident.

I had a black silkie hatch today, but it didn't make it. Waiting to see if the other's will hatch yet.
so sorry, I know you were looking forward to the new chicks, hope the others do better???

On to my question, are there any tricks to keeping the humidity up in the incubator?
D
Depends on the type of incubator, if it's old it may not be sealing properly causing a water/steam leak... or if it's near a vent the A/C could be helping to dry it out... if it's a styrofoam incubator, add another cup of water.

@nicollee I don't ferment the feed. I just add enough water to it to sort of make it like the homemade biscuit dough (you know where it sort of forms the pea's?), a little more than that. They down care much for it if it's too watery. The water that I use in the heat is that Vitamin and electrolytes. I give it to them twice a week. You can mix other thing's up in it also. If you add egg shells, don't put a bunch in there. That way you aren't over doing it either.

Thanks for your comment about that silkie chick that didn't make it. I still have 7 of those left in the incubator that I am hoping are late hatcher's. I think after this if they don't hatch, I will stop buying shipped hatching egg's and only buy chick's.

I am looking for advice from fellow Arizonians raising chickens in the hot dry climate. My husband built a raised run with coop above, I love it so much! My issue is I am not sure what would be best to fill the run with. I have filled it with pine shavings for over a month and I am not very excited about it. They blow around, poop dries up super fast and there is no deep litter going on with this dry climate. I have a few friends that said their run is just dirt but my run is raised and has vinyl for easier cleaning. In the coop part, I do believe pine shavings are the best but I need something different for the raised run. My husband thinks sand would be horrible but I wanted to try it. I like the idea of being able to rake out the poop every couple of days like kitty litter. Anyone else in Arizona have a raised chicken run? What has worked best for the desert since there really isn't any deep litter happening in our area.
Thank you so much!

I am looking for advice from fellow Arizonians raising chickens in the hot dry climate. My husband built a raised run with coop above, I love it so much! My issue is I am not sure what would be best to fill the run with. I have filled it with pine shavings for over a month and I am not very excited about it. They blow around, poop dries up super fast and there is no deep litter going on with this dry climate. I have a few friends that said their run is just dirt but my run is raised and has vinyl for easier cleaning. In the coop part, I do believe pine shavings are the best but I need something different for the raised run. My husband thinks sand would be horrible but I wanted to try it. I like the idea of being able to rake out the poop every couple of days like kitty litter. Anyone else in Arizona have a raised chicken run? What has worked best for the desert since there really isn't any deep litter happening in our area.
Thank you so much!
Nice to see you made it here! If you can post a photo of your setup, it might help people give you some input.

My chicken yard or run is indeed dirt. My coops have dirt on the floors too as well. They have some straw in the winter months. I've never had a raised "run" - nor have I see one. A raised coop would be great as the chickies love the shade underneath the raised coop as well as shelter from the rain. Pictures would help. Go with sand. My yard is too, too big to do all in sand but there is some sand in some places. Girls are happy so must be okay.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20190708_124014.jpg
    IMG_20190708_124014.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190708_123810.jpg
    IMG_20190708_123810.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190708_123934.jpg
    IMG_20190708_123934.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 8
My chicken yard or run is indeed dirt. My coops have dirt on the floors too as well. They have some straw in the winter months. I've never had a raised "run" - nor have I see one. A raised coop would be great as the chickies love the shade underneath the raised coop as well as shelter from the rain. Pictures would help. Go with sand. My yard is too, too big to do all in sand but there is some sand in some places. Girls are happy so must be okay.

Back
Top Bottom