Arizona Chickens

I've always wondered, are naked necks any breed with naked necks or are they a breed by themselves?

They are both any that have the naked neck's, and a breed. They can be bred with any other breed. If they are bred to a fully feathered breed then 1/2 of the chick's will come out with fully feathered neck's, while the other 1/2 will be naked neck's that will have the bigger bib's. You have to keep breeding the naked neck's to naked neck's to end up with the less neck feathering.

They are both any that have the naked neck's, and a breed. They can be bred with any other breed. If they are bred to a fully feathered breed then 1/2 of the chick's will come out with fully feathered neck's, while the other 1/2 will be naked neck's that will have the bigger bib's. You have to keep breeding the naked neck's to naked neck's to end up with the less neck feathering.
OK, that answers my question quite nicely.
thank you.

Not at the moment, but there's a farm i pass by that has all sorts of better quality poultry, they have black n.ns. ( I believe they have some black Marans and necked necks, so naturally....)

Those 2 breed's mixed together could give you some darker brown egg laying nn's. Many of the nn breeder's are breeding for bigger meatbird type's, that will still lay egg's.

I didn't realize that n.ns were considered meat birds. That's interesting.

There is also a bantam version of the naked neck's also, so there is a choice of what way that you want to go or prefer. They used the bantam sized one's to create the "Showgirl" silkies. I like the larger nn's that can lay large sized egg's well.

I've always wondered, are naked necks any breed with naked necks or are they a breed by themselves?
To add to what Bluebaby said: there is both an SOP for the "official" Naked Neck breed (specific colors and conformation in order to enter in a poultry show), but the naked neck gene itself can be added to any chicken.

Back
Top Bottom