Arizona Chickens

I didn't realize that n.ns were considered meat birds. That's interesting.
The NN gene also reduces feather follicles on other parts of the body as well as eliminating the annoying guard hairs that can be difficult to remove when hand plucking. So it can be a popular gene to add to heavier meat type birds. Easier to pluck and a nicer skin for roasting. It's currently considered an ornamental now as the gene has been added to alot of ornamental breeds for yard ornaments. Showgirls and Strippers, made by adding the NN gene to Silkies, are getting more popular for example.

Hello my fellow AZ peep! Such sad news and I'm still dealing with it. Been a day of crying on and off again. I don't know why I'm so emotional over a chicken but I am.

Lost my first girl (Dumplin' - buff orp) yesterday afternoon. Came home from work, changed my shoes and went to the run to say hello and give them treats (my usual routine). Found her on her back, feet in the air. Ran immediately into the house to get my husband. He gloved up and took her out gently. She was still warm but definitely gone. :( Far as we can tell she died of a heart attack or something else sudden. She had no injuries, no lice or ticks, ENT all clear. We watched the coop cam footage and she seemed to get startled suddenly, flew to the other side of the run, flapped frantically a couple times then fell over. Literally 20 mins before either of us got home. She was fine all day. eating and drinking normally. Her usual self.

I'm heartbroken. She would have been 10 weeks old today and she was the biggest of my four. She was shy and did her own thing but she was so sweet and calm. I wrapped her up in brown paper and put her in a paper grocery bag. Hubby is taking her north to our ranch to bury her because he's a good man. I'm just so sad. Thank you all for listening, I much appreciate the ear.

Hello my fellow AZ peep! Such sad news and I'm still dealing with it. Been a day of crying on and off again. I don't know why I'm so emotional over a chicken but I am.

Lost my first girl (Dumplin' - buff orp) yesterday afternoon. Came home from work, changed my shoes and went to the run to say hello and give them treats (my usual routine). Found her on her back, feet in the air. Ran immediately into the house to get my husband. He gloved up and took her out gently. She was still warm but definitely gone. :( Far as we can tell she died of a heart attack or something else sudden. She had no injuries, no lice or ticks, ENT all clear. We watched the coop cam footage and she seemed to get startled suddenly, flew to the other side of the run, flapped frantically a couple times then fell over. Literally 20 mins before either of us got home. She was fine all day. eating and drinking normally. Her usual self.

I'm heartbroken. She would have been 10 weeks old today and she was the biggest of my four. She was shy and did her own thing but she was so sweet and calm. I wrapped her up in brown paper and put her in a paper grocery bag. Hubby is taking her north to our ranch to bury her because he's a good man. I'm just so sad. Thank you all for listening, I much appreciate the ear.

Sorry that you lost your girl! Before I would get anymore though, I would wait to see if the other one's haven't caught something from her.

I'm so sorry you lost one of your birds. At least it sounds as though she didn't suffer.

Hope everyone's staying dry! Does anyone know of a Dutch bantam breeder in Arizona? The closest I've found is California....

Sorry, but I don't really know anyone that is breeding the bantam's, except for what I see on the Craigslist.

I'm getting ready to order 2 dozen Naked Neck hatching egg's from over in Florida.

Sorry, but I don't really know anyone that is breeding the bantam's, except for what I see on the Craigslist.

I'm getting ready to order 2 dozen Naked Neck hatching egg's from over in Florida.
Oh, did you see that thread a few days ago with the gray ones? I think they were in Florida, that's why I ask.

Back
Top Bottom