Arizona Chickens

My flock is handling it ok but the puddles help a lot. The water is cool and they can stand in it or not with some good shade.
My property only has newly planted trees, so I put shade cloth on the run, a small swamp cooler, misting fan also. And a tray of clay bricks in water, so the water evaporates up into the bricks. They just drink t hat cold water and don't stand on the bricks to cool off like they're supposed to. They didn't watch the same video I watched. Instead of staying in the run with all the cooling equipment, they go under the porch. I guess it's deeper shade and it gets cooling from the breeze that comes out thru the skirting of the house. I guess the important thing is they're doing well. They even go around foraging parts of the day. I have timers on the cooler, they don't seem to need anything at all until the temps top 90.

My property only has newly planted trees, so I put shade cloth on the run, a small swamp cooler, misting fan also. And a tray of clay bricks in water, so the water evaporates up into the bricks. They just drink t hat cold water and don't stand on the bricks to cool off like they're supposed to. They didn't watch the same video I watched. Instead of staying in the run with all the cooling equipment, they go under the porch. I guess it's deeper shade and it gets cooling from the breeze that comes out thru the skirting of the house. I guess the important thing is they're doing well. They even go around foraging parts of the day. I have timers on the cooler, they don't seem to need anything at all until the temps top 90.
Mine seem to like the puddles but they really like the mini coop with deep shade and some damp soil to lay in more than anything. Whatever works!

So the new chick I got yesterday had to go to chicken jail today for drawing blood and not stopping it with attacks. Jail has a good view of.civil chicken society as motivation. But when the others went to the coop to sleep, she started chirp crying non stop.. she was afraid to go into the coop (it was already dark, but I dont trust her come morning).. so I wrapped her in a towel and she is asleep on me now 😂 I wonder if I can just slip her back into her cage without her noticing...like a kid after a bad dream!
I hope she is a she... theres a small pink spot, but no actual comb developed. There were some super obvious males her same age with massive bright pinky red combs, so hoping she is a safe bet! Shes super nice with me, but horrendous with the other chicks. Heres her pics, and the federal prison (cuz its extra.comfy)

Attachments

• 20200529_195232.jpg
    20200529_195232.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200529_115142.jpg
    20200529_115142.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200529_115208.jpg
    20200529_115208.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200529_115125.jpg
    20200529_115125.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200529_101312.jpg
    20200529_101312.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 3
So the new chick I got yesterday had to go to chicken jail today for drawing blood and not stopping it with attacks. Jail has a good view of.civil chicken society as motivation. But when the others went to the coop to sleep, she started chirp crying non stop.. she was afraid to go into the coop (it was already dark, but I dont trust her come morning).. so I wrapped her in a towel and she is asleep on me now 😂 I wonder if I can just slip her back into her cage without her noticing...like a kid after a bad dream!
I hope she is a she... theres a small pink spot, but no actual comb developed. There were some super obvious males her same age with massive bright pinky red combs, so hoping she is a safe bet! Shes super nice with me, but horrendous with the other chicks. Heres her pics, and the federal prison (cuz its extra.comfy)

If the new chick is attacking your other chick's and drawing blood, it might be a male.

Evening, my group is standing in their wading pools, I went and bought new misters for them and have the shade cloth up.. trying to help them survive this heat, we're suppose to be back down under 100 next week, not much of a reprieve but some.. Pearl one of my broodies hatched today one baby, I found it dead though, don't know if it was the heat or if she might have stepped on it. Got to figure out what to do with her, she's been broody long enough.

Back
Top Bottom