Arizona Chickens

They are soooo adorable! Little baby peepers. 🥰

Tomorrow someone is supposed to come and level the land next to the future coop so a run can be put out there.
Ooohhh sounds like you're headed for a very nice setup!! What are you going to use for the ground? On these new chicks' coop, im going to use sand, but they are indoors. Not sure if it would be too hot in the az sun. Take progress pics!!

Well, the 2 Barnevelder hen's and a green egg laying blue hen went to a new home yesterday. All 3 of those ladies have fully feathered neck's.

4 new Naked neck chick's came to join my flock (2 buff and 2 black from Murry McMurry), so they are not related to the one's that I already have. The new chick's are a month old, so they are out there in my chick pen now.

I moved all of the 7 Silver Grey Dorking's down into the other grow-out pen. I'll be building a separate coop for them.

The 2 White Rock's are still in with my Naked Neck's, and even though they have fully feathered neck's I am keeping those girl's. I guess that they are supposed to be less likely to go broody, but still lay those big egg's.

Well, the 2 Barnevelder hen's and a green egg laying blue hen went to a new home yesterday. All 3 of those ladies have fully feathered neck's.
Glad you were able to find your hens new homes. They are very pretty girls!!

This morning, everything seemed fine with my big girls. I went outside for about 10 minutes with the dogs, and when I came back in, it seemed like Daisy was choking or something! Like her voice wasn't working right, just high pitched honking sounds, and she was stretching her neck. I was able to give her some water w a baby medicine dropper, not into the back of her mouth, just where her tongue is, and she lapped it up. But what was weird, when I held her, she was acting normal, but if I put her down, it was the weird honking. I decided to give her her pedicure bath, see if it was just a distraction she needed, and that worked!!

Now I think that might have been her weird practice egg song!! If it is, then it will be the ugliest sound ever 🤣 hopefully she fixes that up, or that it was a one off weird somethingrather. All the girls are doing the full squat when I go to pet them, even the silkies, so I got a small plastic basket, cut up a fleece pillow case and put it inside the coop with the fake egg. I put Daisy in there and she was STARING at the egg... the others just kind of peeked in and were not interested at all. But she stayed in there a while fixated on it. She hasn't gone into the basket yet, but it definitely got her attention!

The new little girls are doing great.. pasty butt issues have resolved for Tiny, and everyone is playing, eating, drinking and sleeping as they should.

I asked the pet store owner what hatchery she got them from, and she said Privett's in NM. So I looked them up, but for their bantam frizzle cochins, they list BLUE as a color.. but they don't specify whether that means Black/Blue/Paint, or Self-Blue.. the one chick truly looks self-blue, so I am hoping that is the case! I would be super happy if I end up with a self-blue frizzle girl!

Glad you were able to find your hens new homes. They are very pretty girls!!

This morning, everything seemed fine with my big girls. I went outside for about 10 minutes with the dogs, and when I came back in, it seemed like Daisy was choking or something! Like her voice wasn't working right, just high pitched honking sounds, and she was stretching her neck. I was able to give her some water w a baby medicine dropper, not into the back of her mouth, just where her tongue is, and she lapped it up. But what was weird, when I held her, she was acting normal, but if I put her down, it was the weird honking. I decided to give her her pedicure bath, see if it was just a distraction she needed, and that worked!!

Now I think that might have been her weird practice egg song!! If it is, then it will be the ugliest sound ever 🤣 hopefully she fixes that up, or that it was a one off weird somethingrather. All the girls are doing the full squat when I go to pet them, even the silkies, so I got a small plastic basket, cut up a fleece pillow case and put it inside the coop with the fake egg. I put Daisy in there and she was STARING at the egg... the others just kind of peeked in and were not interested at all. But she stayed in there a while fixated on it. She hasn't gone into the basket yet, but it definitely got her attention!

The new little girls are doing great.. pasty butt issues have resolved for Tiny, and everyone is playing, eating, drinking and sleeping as they should.

I asked the pet store owner what hatchery she got them from, and she said Privett's in NM. So I looked them up, but for their bantam frizzle cochins, they list BLUE as a color.. but they don't specify whether that means Black/Blue/Paint, or Self-Blue.. the one chick truly looks self-blue, so I am hoping that is the case! I would be super happy if I end up with a self-blue frizzle girl!

I hope that yours end up being the colors that you want for the breed. I gave my whole flock some wet feed made with the vitamin and electrolytes this morning. Even the chick's got their chick feed mixed up wet. They were all happy to chow down on it. I like to do that once a week on Sunday. In our higher summer temp's I do it 2 times a week (Sunday and Wednesday) because I feel that they need it more, then.

I hope that yours end up being the colors that you want for the breed. I gave my whole flock some wet feed made with the vitamin and electrolytes this morning. Even the chick's got their chick feed mixed up wet. They were all happy to chow down on it. I like to do that once a week on Sunday. In our higher summer temp's I do it 2 times a week (Sunday and Wednesday) because I feel that they need it more, then.
That's a good idea... I wasn't sure if I could do that with the crumble.. they were out of the mash that I got the first time around with the chicks. I did give them sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics in the water, but they are so tiny, I am not sure if the crumble is just too big for them. It is the starter/grower crumble, I think from tractor supply (brand).

That's a good idea... I wasn't sure if I could do that with the crumble.. they were out of the mash that I got the first time around with the chicks. I did give them sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics in the water, but they are so tiny, I am not sure if the crumble is just too big for them. It is the starter/grower crumble, I think from tractor supply (brand).

Mix it up wet but not too liquidy and they will eat it.

During summer I was adding a liquid vitamin to wet feed twice a week also, and electrolytes separately in their water a couple times a week. Now I have a bunch of chick crumble to use up so I’m fermenting it for them and they get before bed. They go crazy for it, especially the roo.

You can grind it down finer with your blender. I did that for the d’Uccle chicks I had because I thought the crumble was too big also. Then when they get a little bigger start mixing in some of the bigger pieces and see if they can eat those. Once they can you can quit grinding. I think it took the tinies about two weeks of that and then they were fine with the bigger stuff.

You can grind it down finer with your blender. I did that for the d’Uccle chicks I had because I thought the crumble was too big also. Then when they get a little bigger start mixing in some of the bigger pieces and see if they can eat those. Once they can you can quit grinding. I think it took the tinies about two weeks of that and then they were fine with the bigger stuff.
Thank you, thats a good idea! I guess theres still a run on chicks, hence the lack of mash available. The D'Anver is just as tiny as the D'uccles were, the others seem to be ok though.

Back
Top Bottom