Arizona Chickens

I'm running across problems turning the shed into a chicken coop, mainly in attaching a run. Yesterday the ground got extended so there'd be room before the dropoff where a run could be built, but the soil is not solid enough to where I'd think a run would last for very long. There's still a dropoff that could erode back toward the pen. Then there's an apple tree that would prevent putting a top on the run, which I'd need with predators. I've seen coyotes, fox, and a hawk, and there's a bobcat nearby.

With eggs in the incubator that will go into lockdown tomorrow, I wanted a coop. So I checked for ads, and found a used one of these for sale for $275. https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-backyard-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop

He's supposed to deliver it this afternoon or evening. If I ever get the shed turned into a coop, this one can be used as an extra or quarantine coop. Now I need to know the best way to sanitize it before use.
Virkon S. You can order online. Wash the thing with dish soap, then after it dries use a Hudson sprayer and soak it with the Virkon S. Don’t use bleach, the smell can be overwhelming.

Virkon S. You can order online. Wash the thing with dish soap, then after it dries use a Hudson sprayer and soak it with the Virkon S. Don’t use bleach, the smell can be overwhelming.

Thanks! I just ordered some. It'll take 2 weeks to get here, but the chicks won't need the coop before then if they do hatch.

Which ads did you check? Lumber costs have gone up so much we're despairing of being able to build our own coop. 🙁 I check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace regularly but I haven't seen anything like what you found!

I have heard of people that were on a budget before getting some of those free wooden pallet's and breaking them down to build a coop with.

Hi Arizona peeps! I have a lovely little rooster looking for a new home. His name is Wyatt Chirp, he is a Speckled Sussex that was purchased from MPC as a pullet and delivered 7/21. His favorite activities include long walks in the lawn, rounding up his polish and Houdan ladies to make sure they are safe, and sleeping on my legs. He has been extensively handled by the whole family, which include me, my husband, and kids (6 and 10) multiple times daily. I trained him to jump on my arm for a treat. We can't have roosters in Scottsdale so I have to rehome him. I would love him to go to someplace where his sweet personality is appreciated if possible. He was vaccinated at MPC for Mareck's, and none of our chickens have ever died of Mareck's, we always have necropsies done. He is free, I have no interest in financial gain. He is my favorite of all the chicks we ordered and I am pretty devastated we have to rehome him.
He does crow, it isn't very loud right now. I have heard that SS are rather quiet, but I don't have any experience with roosters.
49922289-302A-4732-B6BC-853BBF14E957.jpeg
46ACBCE2-0439-494D-9DAD-3218D9A721CC.jpeg
AD9D99CA-D3BF-4B70-9511-155174B533B0.jpeg

Hi Arizona peeps! I have a lovely little rooster looking for a new home. His name is Wyatt Chirp, he is a Speckled Sussex that was purchased from MPC as a pullet and delivered 7/21. His favorite activities include long walks in the lawn, rounding up his polish and Houdan ladies to make sure they are safe, and sleeping on my legs. He has been extensively handled by the whole family, which include me, my husband, and kids (6 and 10) multiple times daily. I trained him to jump on my arm for a treat. We can't have roosters in Scottsdale so I have to rehome him. I would love him to go to someplace where his sweet personality is appreciated if possible. He was vaccinated at MPC for Mareck's, and none of our chickens have ever died of Mareck's, we always have necropsies done. He is free, I have no interest in financial gain. He is my favorite of all the chicks we ordered and I am pretty devastated we have to rehome him.
He does crow, it isn't very loud right now. I have heard that SS are rather quiet, but I don't have any experience with roosters.
View attachment 2354495View attachment 2354496View attachment 2354497
There are a couple options that pop into mind (unless of course someone here will take him). Pratts Pets in Glendale and the Stock Shop also in Glendale will purchase him from you. But they will also sell him for more money than that, which tells you he won't become a chicken dinner!

Also, there is the Arizona Backyard Chickens group on Facebook. There are people who will add him to an already existing flock, sometimes to sell as a flock, or you could luck out and find someome who can have pet roosters there too!!

I have a bunch of chicks myself at the moment, so I'll be going through this soon enough 😪

There are a couple options that pop into mind (unless of course someone here will take him). Pratts Pets in Glendale and the Stock Shop also in Glendale will purchase him from you. But they will also sell him for more money than that, which tells you he won't become a chicken dinner!

Also, there is the Arizona Backyard Chickens group on Facebook. There are people who will add him to an already existing flock, sometimes to sell as a flock, or you could luck out and find someome who can have pet roosters there too!!

I have a bunch of chicks myself at the moment, so I'll be going through this soon enough 😪
I don't know if I am in the backyard chickens group for AZ, but I was going to post him on Arizona chicken raisers and Arizona chicken addicts on fb too. Thanks for the new group to check out!
I love the general mindset of people on this site so I posted here first. Fingers crossed for a good home for him. I didn't know how Pratt's worked so thank you also for that info, I may use it as a last resort!

View attachment 2354495View attachment 2354496View attachment 2354497

Welcome to our AZ. thread. Good luck with getting your roo re-homed. I just had a rooster over-load and rehome 2, and the rest had to go to freezer camp. Now I am down to the 2 boy's that I want to keep that will go into my project for 2021.

Back
Top Bottom