Arizona Chickens

Lots of excitement around here!

My 'puter is on its last legs, but my new Macbook arrived yesterday, so I should be able to chat again.

Today I went to the poultry show in Saint Johns. The only Sussex was one bantam being shown, and the only cuckoo Marans were some really scrubby looking males in a cage for sale. They must have been molting.

I went to the sale tables, and was attracted to a group there. The man selling them takes chicken shows seriously. He said he was selling them because of their color. Someone sold him a bird that he felt should have known would produce awful color, and he wanted them out of his flock and gene pool. Since the breed is "an egg laying machine," he brought them to sell to someone who might want good egg producing backyard chickens. That person is me.

He said they won't go broody, and offered to sell me a RIR with them since she would go broody. But she was more than twice their size, and I've heard about RIR temperament, and didn't want them beaten to a pulp.

One pullet should start laying any day now, and the other two are about a week or two behind. The cockerel is about the same age. Here are some pictures. Introducing my new Cuckoo Leghorn flock!
20201024_093604.jpg
20201024_093606.jpg
20201024_092822.jpg

Lots of excitement around here!

My 'puter is on its last legs, but my new Macbook arrived yesterday, so I should be able to chat again.

Today I went to the poultry show in Saint Johns. The only Sussex was one bantam being shown, and the only cuckoo Marans were some really scrubby looking males in a cage for sale. They must have been molting.

I went to the sale tables, and was attracted to a group there. The man selling them takes chicken shows seriously. He said he was selling them because of their color. Someone sold him a bird that he felt should have known would produce awful color, and he wanted them out of his flock and gene pool. Since the breed is "an egg laying machine," he brought them to sell to someone who might want good egg producing backyard chickens. That person is me.

He said they won't go broody, and offered to sell me a RIR with them since she would go broody. But she was more than twice their size, and I've heard about RIR temperament, and didn't want them beaten to a pulp.

One pullet should start laying any day now, and the other two are about a week or two behind. The cockerel is about the same age. Here are some pictures. Introducing my new Cuckoo Leghorn flock! View attachment 2385719View attachment 2385721View attachment 2385722
How perfect!!! They look beautiful!

So, not sure how this works, do I just jump in here? Sorry if I’m doing it wrong! Anyways... looking for a home near Tucson for an Easter Egger cockerel (boys are not allowed in our neighborhood). He’s friendly and not noisy (yet). He’s about 4 months, red with a white tail, maybe a cross with a Rhode Island Red.

Attachments

• B96C787E-DF99-4EF1-8532-6C4BA074010E.jpeg
    B96C787E-DF99-4EF1-8532-6C4BA074010E.jpeg
    727.6 KB · Views: 3
  • CF904242-9E6E-4A18-A34B-BCEA148A4164.jpeg
    CF904242-9E6E-4A18-A34B-BCEA148A4164.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 3
I put the 1/4" hardware cloth just a little underneath until I can figure out the best way to attach it, like this, and put a cinder block over where the ends meet. Hopefully that will keep them safe tonight. If they go inside for the night I can put up the drawbridge and that will help a lot. Hopefully they go inside when it gets dark. Otherwise I won't be able to get them in because of how it's built.

The cockerel was the first to drink and try the food. :love They are so soft, I just had to stick my nose into the back feathers of one of the hens when I held her. Chicken love!
20201024_152754.jpg
20201024_152801.jpg

Last edited:
So, not sure how this works, do I just jump in here? Sorry if I’m doing it wrong! Anyways... looking for a home near Tucson for an Easter Egger cockerel (boys are not allowed in our neighborhood). He’s friendly and not noisy (yet). He’s about 4 months, red with a white tail, maybe a cross with a Rhode Island Red.

If you go to the forums index and scroll down, you will see the sections for posting birds in need of new homes.

I hope that you will be able to find someone to take him. The boy's are hard to rehome unless they are a good sized for a meat bird.

Yup just jump on. Welcome!

The smart chickens knew they were supposed to go inside and were all sharing the same roost. The dumb new chicken owner dropped the chain to the drawbridge and had to get on her belly and go inside the chicken coop to get it. :rolleyes: After that, the dog followed me around sniffing. I know she's thinking, "You smell like chicken chit."

We have a storm on its way in. When the weather is bad, do you let them out or leave them inside? The food and water are in the outside part, so I'm guessing I'd leave it open and give them their choice of being in or out?

The smart chickens knew they were supposed to go inside and were all sharing the same roost. The dumb new chicken owner dropped the chain to the drawbridge and had to get on her belly and go inside the chicken coop to get it. :rolleyes: After that, the dog followed me around sniffing. I know she's thinking, "You smell like chicken chit."

We have a storm on its way in. When the weather is bad, do you let them out or leave them inside? The food and water are in the outside part, so I'm guessing I'd leave it open and give them their choice of being in or out?

I don't free-range mine, but if I did I think that I would leave them in during a storm. If you left it open other animal's may go in there also looking for shelter from the storm.

Back
Top Bottom