Arizona Chickens

He's pretty. I like his speckled coloring.

So far, I haven't noticed any breeding in my group. One pullet/hen is the right age to lay, and the other two are a week or two behind her in age. I put a pair of ceramic eggs in the nest box so they might take the hint. One of them smeared a little dirt on a ceramic egg. Guess it looks a little more real now. :)
I did put one of the ceramic eggs in their area, and within a few days Nala laid! They seemed to be huffing and puffing a lot before then.. like they could feel some change coming on. I have only had one egg outside of their spot one time, but they had just started, so it might have been an ooopsie egg!

My project for the day was to put up wind blockers on the north side of the breezy "summer" coop which is now the egg layer +Roger coop since I turned the newly rebuilt "winter" coop into the Holland breeding pens (not yet breeding or even laying).

I got the door and a good portion of the north side wind blockers on this afternoon! They should be much happier/warmer now. Yesterday started out 33 (but felt like 21 with the windchill). I just used part of a roll of clear UV stable heavy duty woven landscape fabric that I had in storage. It's actually very good as a wind block and the clear color still lets light in!
Sounds like a great set up, do you have photos of your set up & Holland chickens?

Do young roos lose their crow? Big Ben crowed the first few days he was here, but I haven't heard him since. :( He seems OK otherwise. I miss hearing him sing. Edited to add a pic of him.View attachment 2391959
No, but in the beginning they are probably like “what was that!” He is gorgeous, what is his breed?

He's doing pretty well I think. He cuddles up with some of the ladies now that he goes up the ladder. He seems to like the Crested Cream Legbar so I'm hoping for some fertile eggs to hatch for more blue/green/olive egg layers. I'd love to see what those chicks turn out like! He also likes the White Leghorn but I don't think I'll hatch those. He can't really touch the bossy top bird a Wyandotte, although he keeps trying to woo her with treats. She's too much --she's so big & beautiful I thought she might be a rooster when she was little...LOL.
Sounds like you have a great flock, Amy photo’s? After visiting & seeing Rodger, we named our cockerel Rojer. Rodger but with a French sounding twist. He is a Biefelder. He & his guard dog are always hanging together.
17425421-58AD-4BAD-855A-A282FF6F661F.jpeg

Sounds like a great set up, do you have photos of your set up & Holland chickens?
This is the original winter coop... we demolished it to build a chicken fortress.
20200812_180446_HDR.jpg

Outside of the chicken fortress/Holland Breeding Coop
20200916_174047.jpg

Inside of the Holland Breeding Coop (below) My DH has done all this work with a small bit of help from me. Roost sections and the front wood panels slip out to sweep all of the top shelf! He is in the middle of making 3 separate pens (you can see 2 sections here) and each has a pop door (actually there are 4 doors + 1 more to go in the man door for flexibility in separating pens with access to go outside in divided areas (yet to be divided). Some of the Sexlinks, Cukoo Marans and a Welsummer still live in with the Hollands since they are almost same age. They will be moving to other flock soon.
20201029_174312.jpg

I only have the water in here to keep it from freezing that day. It's usually outside.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a great flock, Amy photo’s? After visiting & seeing Rodger, we named our cockerel Rojer. Rodger but with a French sounding twist. He is a Biefelder. He & his guard dog are always hanging together.View attachment 2393134

Wyandotte in front with a couple Minorca (black), a Lakenvelder, and Brown Leghorn.
20200928_113256_HDR.jpg

White Leghorn and Crested Cream Legbar in nestbox - see CCLB blue egg!
20201024_112502.jpg

Roger and his ladies in the summer coop...
20201027_172643.jpg

Back
Top Bottom