Arizona Chickens

Do chicken wormers contain ivermectin like other animal wormers do? Both of my collies (Lassie look-alikes) have the mutant MDR-1 gene, so they could become very sick or worse if they decide to munch on the droppings of an animal that's been treated with ivermectin. One of them is very interested in chicken droppings. Yuck! She's not allowed to kiss me after poking around the chicken coop.

Another 60 year old here. Old enough to remember Lassie. :)

Do chicken wormers contain ivermectin like other animal wormers do? Both of my collies (Lassie look-alikes) have the mutant MDR-1 gene, so they could become very sick or worse if they decide to munch on the droppings of an animal that's been treated with ivermectin. One of them is very interested in chicken droppings. Yuck! She's not allowed to kiss me after poking around the chicken coop.

Another 60 year old here. Old enough to remember Lassie. :)

I have no idea, but you can ask them in the link to that thread above that I gave about it to @Suzyqschickens

Ok can we talk about worming chickens? I need to, have not in the 3 yrs of having them. Yes I know bad chicken mom. But I need to. I figured now would be good. Even though I am enjoying the eggs. How long do you withdrawal eggs? What type do you use? Any successes? How often?
I try to deworm when they are not laying as much. Not that pumpkin is a deworming truth, but since people have them readily available this time of year they get them as a treat. They eat them all the way down to the thin rind.

Lately I’ve been noticing an increase in wild birds eating my chickens feed and dirtying their water, any recommendations for keeping them away? The run is fenced with chicken wire so the birds are quite small but it’s still a hassle having to empty out their waterer much more often since they leave droppings everywhere, I’m also worried about them potentially giving my hens any sicknesses.

Lately I’ve been noticing an increase in wild birds eating my chickens feed and dirtying their water, any recommendations for keeping them away? The run is fenced with chicken wire so the birds are quite small but it’s still a hassle having to empty out their waterer much more often since they leave droppings everywhere, I’m also worried about them potentially giving my hens any sicknesses.

Using hardware cloth wire will put a stop to that, as the smaller bird's won't be able to fit through it.

Consider placing a birdbath with water, and a wild bird feeder with bird seeds outside of your run, maybe opposite end of your yard. That should take away the risk of disease you are concerned about. :idunno
I do have a bird feeder, and plenty of birds in my area. My chickens do go under feeder and eat with the birds. In over 20+ years, I have never got chickens sick as result hanging with the wild birds. In THEORY all things are possible. :confused:

Good morning, wanted to share with ya’all some homemade wreaths out of our olive tree. Also used some pine tree cuttings from our neighbors tree.
2DDA9FBF-E526-41A5-9D13-E119F2ABFD12.png
CF6C4679-7641-439A-ACB9-D9F276B6ECF6.png
2D1072B5-F823-464E-B606-0CE3FBBD9B5C.png
Normally compost but figured out a way to repurpose & share with other gardening friends.

Attachments

• 1681FAD4-E0FD-47CE-9E56-5E8ACC534B27.png
    1681FAD4-E0FD-47CE-9E56-5E8ACC534B27.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Yep, wild birds will get your chickens sick.

Back
Top Bottom