Arizona Chickens

Mine that are outside are all acting like they normally do. I'm getting less egg's, but that's because I sold some of the girl's that were laying. The 2 Naked Neck pullet's haven't been laying long so those egg's are still on the small side. There's 10 more pullet's that haven't started laying yet (2 WR's, 7 SGD's and 1 NN), then the 10 Aloha chick's in the house that will be 2 week's old on Monday.
How are the babies settling in?

I'm in Northern Arizona. We have twenty-six chickens of various breeds with three being roosters. We have been getting anywhere from four to seven eggs daily.

I have 3 cockerel's outside over here too that I'll be having hatching egg's from next year. I'm sure some of those 10 Aloha chick's are going to end up being boy's too, but I'll be keeping those that are the most colorful girl's for future breeding.

How are the babies settling in?

They are doing good. I've had no more problem's with the poopy butt's like they were when I first got them. They eat and drink well. They are active, but not acting as crazy or as noisy as the Naked Neck chick's did when I had them in the brooder. The peeping is quieter. They aren't jumping around on each other, at least not yet. I hope that they stay like that. :gig

Yes I noticed that. Where have you been, and how's life going for you?
Been good 😁 got 4 more pullets at the beginning of fall that incorporated nicely with the older girls... have them all free range during the day right now...

Fed them all some oatmeal this morning when it was freezing here... This was the events of the older girls table this morning:
D1C078D3-1076-4CAE-B05D-CBD738FD905F.jpeg

Been good 😁 got 4 more pullets at the beginning of fall that incorporated nicely with the older girls... have them all free range during the day right now...

Fed them all some oatmeal this morning when it was freezing here... This was the events of the older girls table this morning:View attachment 2435668

Yes, they do enjoy that oatmeal and a little extra scratch on the colder day's. It help's them to stay warm. I mix the oatmeal up in some wet feed to make sure they are also eating it to stay healthy, and sometimes I add some scrambled egg's to it also.

My 10 little new chick's are in the house, doing well and growing.

Had an aggressive hawk out here tonight, it kept using my yard as the sabotage point for any birds. Had several fly into my windows and hide on my porch, then the hawk would go back to its lookout point! I have a fountain a w water, but no bird food, so i hope it doesn't come back. I used to have a fairly large hawk or eagle (red) that would do the same, so i got rid of my feeders then.

Tonights hawk had a blue grey head and brown wing feathers, about double the width and height of a large pigeon.. im going to look it up.

Had an aggressive hawk out here tonight, it kept using my yard as the sabotage point for any birds. Had several fly into my windows and hide on my porch, then the hawk would go back to its lookout point! I have a fountain a w water, but no bird food, so i hope it doesn't come back. I used to have a fairly large hawk or eagle (red) that would do the same, so i got rid of my feeders then.

Tonights hawk had a blue grey head and brown wing feathers, about double the width and height of a large pigeon.. im going to look it up.

I wouldn't free-range any of my flock if I was you. That hawk is hungry. Some bird's have been hunted or flew to warmer places. Some smaller animals headed for hibernation from this colder weather, so there's not as plentiful food available now like there was. I think that the hawk's will also be starting the breeding season soon?

Back
Top Bottom