Arizona Chickens

Yes, they do enjoy that oatmeal and a little extra scratch on the colder day's. It help's them to stay warm. I mix the oatmeal up in some wet feed to make sure they are also eating it to stay healthy, and sometimes I add some scrambled egg's to it also.

My 10 little new chick's are in the house, doing well and growing.
I have no issues with them eating all their feed 👀 these girls are all heavy weights and finish every crumb of any food put on their picnic table 😅 a small pumpkin, a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 2 pounds of chicken feed... poof it disappears in about 15-20 minutes 🤣🤣🤣 should I be planning to run a heat lamp out to them or no?

I have no issues with them eating all their feed 👀 these girls are all heavy weights and finish every crumb of any food put on their picnic table 😅 a small pumpkin, a 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 2 pounds of chicken feed... poof it disappears in about 15-20 minutes 🤣🤣🤣 should I be planning to run a heat lamp out to them or no?

Before adding any heat lamp or heater's, I would read up on them so that they could properly be safe. I've heard of people's coop's burning down right here on the BYC thread's in the past. They might not have properly installed them or something. I don't add anything extra to mine except maybe a tarp that I attach to help keep some of the drafty wind's when it get's cold. The tarp's that have those gromar's work well, I just use pieces of wire to attach them to the run, because my ran is attached to my coop.

I have trees as a natural wind/snow break... and their opening to the run is on the leeward side (I’ve been opening the coop door to the outside since it’s easier for them then going out the run to the outside) and the window on the windward side is angled to block the wind for the most part...
220895B9-F0A1-4839-AA77-E505C4A4F7B9.jpeg

I hope not either, but 2020 isn't over yet. I hope it fizzles out before spring migrations.

So do I, but there are people who are building new coop's that should be aware of this, so that they can build them right to protect their flock against it. I don't free-range mine, but I intend to cover my run up a bit better to be able to keep the littler bird's out, and any wild bird poop dropping's.

Howdy fellow Arizonans! North of Tucson here... Looking forward to picking some brains in the near future as I get started on this chicken endeavor. I’ve decided on raising Black Australorps as they seem to be a great combination of weather tolerant, docile and dual purpose birds.
I am currently in the process of leveling out about a half acre of my land to prep for chickens and a nice veggie garden. Hope to have the main coop and run finished by late January. Looking into Ideal Poultry for my initial chicks to start. Any input would be appreciated. Hope to share more with ya’ll soon.
Hello! My parents had a place in Oro a few years ago. One thing I would mention to you is that the Harris hawks there are bad. That would definitely impact the run size I would plan on if it were me. They lost a small dog to a Harris hawk and one to a coyote. I am guessing you know this already, but just thought I would mention it. I can't wait to see pics of your BAs, I love those but don't have any yet. We have a relatively small place up in PHX so have to be limited to about 8 girls and my wish list is a mile long! The feed store here orders from Ideal and I love to go in and stare at the chicks whenever I am there. They always look very healthy and active. Please post pics and keep us updated! Can't wait to see how things shape up for you :). Welcome to the AZ thread!

Glad you found our thread! I've heard good things about Ideal. I also had a very good experience with Privett Hatchery in New Mexico, a few years ago. Before all the postal excitement started I had several good experiences with Hoover's, but the distribution center nearest them is Minneapolis... Best of luck with your project. There are plenty of good coop designs here, I like the desert oasis by @igorsMistress.
Glad you found our thread! I've heard good things about Ideal. I also had a very good experience with Privett Hatchery in New Mexico, a few years ago. Before all the postal excitement started I had several good experiences with Hoover's, but the distribution center nearest them is Minneapolis... Best of luck with your project. There are plenty of good coop designs here, I like the desert oasis by @igorsMistress.
Thanks! We’ve done some modifications recently but still the same basic design.

I haven't got any notifications recently from AZ thread-- I just thought everyone was on vacation!
On the bird flu discussions... I covered my open run with aviary netting from Coops n more (a TX company) when I had a hawk problem. No one has been lost and I haven't found any extra birdies in there either.

On the heat lamp discussion... I would do research on your chickens winter needs (note: they have their own feather coat).

I won't even use a heat lamp in my brooder because of the fire danger (I work for an architect and it would be personally tragic and also professionally embarrassing as someone who looks out for life/safety for my house to burn down, and a real mess - my parents house recently burned down and I did the cleanup & hired the demo in the dead of winter).

I've told my husband (who is in the building trades and also educated in architecture) that we won't use heat lamps. In my brooder I use an eco glow or a heat plate device -- very safe alternative to a heat lamp. I also just use plastic/tarp over normally hardware cloth covered windows to cut the direct wind in the winter - no heat. And the water has been freezing here unless it's heated (I use dog bowl heaters). Temps in 20sF lately overnite, windchill is almost unbearable sometimes when temp is in 40-50s F.

I hope not either, but 2020 isn't over yet. I hope it fizzles out before spring migrations.
Wow I just read thru the restrictions for the bird flu in UK... indoor housing with roof I guess, and much more.

One more "black swan event" for 2020 or to start 2021. I will start contingency planning for this now just in case it comes to the US... thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom