Arizona Chickens

So im really only good at over-analyzing pics, but it works for me!! I was comparing yours to the started pullets... they sure look the same.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/barred-rock-started-pullet/

One of my girls here.. omg.. i need to record her attempt at crowing, sounds like she's calling the pigs home! (Don't worry, no plans for a pet house piggy)
I have looked at tons of photos, but yes agree mine look like this. I wonder who trying to crow.

The male and female dna are in a fertilized egg, but they don't merge until they are heated to just the right temp... so nothing will grow even if you let the eggs sit. (Source: extreme googling instead of doing actual work).

Thanks for that useful info. And--Henrietta laid another egg this afternoon! Woo-hoo! She's a few months older than the other two pullets.

I thought chickens were supposed to lay eggs in the mornings, but apparently she hasn't read the chicken rule book.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here enjoying the omelet. I was afraid to let them sit too long because something might start developing in the eggs. These do not taste like store bought eggs! They're better.

But no new eggs this morning. :hit
Congratulations on your first ever eggs! I’ve kept eggs in a basket on the wall in my kitchen for a month plus with no issues. Nothing will grow in there.
Thanks for that useful info. And--Henrietta laid another egg this afternoon! Woo-hoo! She's a few months older than the other two pullets.

I thought chickens were supposed to lay eggs in the mornings, but apparently she hasn't read the chicken rule book.
You will likely find they’ll lay at different times of day as things go on. It takes roughly 25 hours from one egg to the next so if Monday a hen lays an egg at 0600, then Friday it’ll be around 1000 when she lays. By the next Friday it’ll be around 1700 and so on.

Last edited:

Our hens lay all day long, you must be thinking of ducks, which I am not sure that is true either.

Our hens lay all day long, you must be thinking of ducks, which I am not sure that is true either.

I probably got that idea from following my grandmother around gathering eggs when I visited her as a child. We always did it in the morning, so I guess I just figured that they did their laying early in the mornings. I used to follow her around with a pail or whatever and we'd get the eggs. Some of the chickens did not want to give up the eggs and would peck and squawk. If they weren't too broody, I'd pick some up, but she usually got them from under the broody hens.

Good morning AZ. I’ve been out in the yard doing work the last couple of days. Expanded the garden, movief a temporary block wall and today I’m putting in soil and finishing up a row of pavers along the patio. Bulk trash pick up is early next month so my pile is ready to move out. The ducks are growing so fast, almost time for their next molt and I should know for sure if my suspicion about having a drake is correct or not. Their new game is no, we don’t want to go inside we want to spend the night in the pool :rolleyes: Fortunately they love greens and know the pink bowl means treats so they’ll follow me anywhere. You know that scene in Jurassic Park where the cow is lowered into the raptor pen? That’s what it sounds like when I lock the door at night. They attack those greens!:gig Have a wonderful day all and enjoy the beautiful weather today!

Good morning everyone, the past few weeks I’ve been working on home renovations so I haven’t had time to be as active. Who knew installing new flooring was such hard work ;) My hen seems to be in the process of her first molt and I had a question,do all chickens in a coop molt at around the same time or is it random for everyone?
Have a nice weekend everyone xx

Good morning everyone, the past few weeks I’ve been working on home renovations so I haven’t had time to be as active. Who knew installing new flooring was such hard work ;) My hen seems to be in the process of her first molt and I had a question,do all chickens in a coop molt at around the same time or is it random for everyone?
It can be around the same time or at different times. I had a few that molted together and a few that waited a bit longer. It seemed to go on for months one year because they were pretty scattered about it.

I would guess the time of and degree of molting would depend on the age of bird or the breed of it. I have different age group's and different breed's, so there seems to be one or more of them molting at just about any time.

Back
Top Bottom