Arizona Chickens

So i am the most absolute impatient gardener... its been 2 weeks and these clovers need to step on it! They are at least more visible now.. just watered the yard and stones. Hurry up already..

Itty bitty clover sprouts 🍀:

20210410_085838.jpg 20210410_085917.jpg

Oooh a white poppy.. ill need to see it when the sun hits it..
20210410_085938.jpg

Just a few more bare spots to fill in..
20210410_090049.jpg

Curious to see which tolerate the summer heat best.. those will be the ones i reseed with in the fall.

So i am the most absolute impatient gardener... its been 2 weeks and these clovers need to step on it! They are at least more visible now.. just watered the yard and stones. Hurry up already..

Itty bitty clover sprouts 🍀:

View attachment 2608509View attachment 2608510

Oooh a white poppy.. ill need to see it when the sun hits it..
View attachment 2608511

Just a few more bare spots to fill in..
View attachment 2608512

Curious to see which tolerate the summer heat best.. those will be the ones i reseed with in the fall.
Won't it be too hot in those pavers in the summer? Will the clover come back in the cool weather?

Won't it be too hot in those pavers in the summer? Will the clover come back in the cool weather?
Not sure yet... my idea is have enough growth over the top of the pavers that the plants in the crevices are shaded and survive. According to their zones, these wildflowers and miniclover love hot weather and are up to zone 10 for heat tolerance. The clover packaging CLAIMS it regrows from both roots and seed. There is a mix of red magic carpet thyme in there as well. I eventually want the yard self seeding and regenerating with minimal input from me.

I do imagine some stuff will come back.. i always get weeds and my livingstone daisy ice plants come back 🤣. I'd like some of it to actually stay though. The yard is shaded by the roofline until around 10-11am.. and then once it passes noon, it has a lot of tree shade. Hopefully that helps something survive life on Mars!

The miniclover does better with cold that stays ABOVE freezing, with supposedly a high tolerance for upward temps.

In your area, from what I've read, strawberry clover is best. It tolerates colder temps and not as high of temps. Scotts has a clover mix that is pretty cheap, and it consists of strawberry clover. Still grows low to the ground, but pretty pink flower blooms.. 🌸

So we’ve had our six girls for about a month now and they’re starting to jump out of the brooder and make a mess everywhere haha. Is it too soon to put them outside? Every other day or so we’ve been letting them wander in a gated section of the yard while we supervise so they can have more space to fly around and wander. We have an old pre-built coop that we plan on keeping them in until we eventually integrate them in the bigger coop (which we will be renovating a bit to accommodate them all). Any thoughts?

Not sure yet... my idea is have enough growth over the top of the pavers that the plants in the crevices are shaded and survive. According to their zones, these wildflowers and miniclover love hot weather and are up to zone 10 for heat tolerance. The clover packaging CLAIMS it regrows from both roots and seed. There is a mix of red magic carpet thyme in there as well. I eventually want the yard self seeding and regenerating with minimal input from me.

I do imagine some stuff will come back.. i always get weeds and my livingstone daisy ice plants come back 🤣. I'd like some of it to actually stay though. The yard is shaded by the roofline until around 10-11am.. and then once it passes noon, it has a lot of tree shade. Hopefully that helps something survive life on Mars!
When I lived in palm desert we had mini strawberries, they lived all year in the shade with enough water. We had a little fountain we kept going on the patio all summer for the evaporative cooling. Maybe just mental, but the sound of water makes me feel cooler! Misters for the hottest times, but they mess up my glasses!

So we’ve had our six girls for about a month now and they’re starting to jump out of the brooder and make a mess everywhere haha. Is it too soon to put them outside? Every other day or so we’ve been letting them wander in a gated section of the yard while we supervise so they can have more space to fly around and wander. We have an old pre-built coop that we plan on keeping them in until we eventually integrate them in the bigger coop (which we will be renovating a bit to accommodate them all). Any thoughts?
It is Phoenix! The low last night was what, 60 maybe? Outside with their messy bird poop and dander! They are probably pretty well feathered out. My chicks were out in the yard here in Prescott at 5 weeks, they live in an un-heated garden shed with the brooder lamp and they were not ever under it, even when I had it up high for a max of 70 in the warmest place at night.

Back
Top Bottom