Arizona Chickens

It is Phoenix! The low last night was what, 60 maybe? Outside with their messy bird poop and dander! They are probably pretty well feathered out. My chicks were out in the yard here in Prescott at 5 weeks, they live in an un-heated garden shed with the brooder lamp and they were not ever under it, even when I had it up high for a max of 70 in the warmest place at night.
Haha yes, most of the threads I’ve been reading are worried about the cold, while I’m wondering if they’ll cook with the heat! :lau I waited quite a long time before I took my previous flock outside so it was a bit cooler when they moved, but they really made a mess in our living room which I don’t want a repeat of! We’ll have to place the smaller coop close to the bigger coop so they can start getting used to seeing each-other but not be able to peck or cause injuries. I’m hoping for a smooth transition:fl

When I lived in palm desert we had mini strawberries, they lived all year in the shade with enough water. We had a little fountain we kept going on the patio all summer for the evaporative cooling. Maybe just mental, but the sound of water makes me feel cooler! Misters for the hottest times, but they mess up my glasses!
I have had potted strawberries here, but by the time they actually fruit, it seemed like it was time for them to dry up.. I water in the morning in the evenings, just super quick to mist everything down, and it feels COLD to me 😂 I think it definitely lowers the temps.

Ok, so everything I am reading says the clover, even the strawberry clover, lasts throughout the summer in AZ, even in YUMA!! So I hope it is true and I will have green in the yard this summer. Sounds like it dies back from dec-feb, but I can live with that.

After putting some thought into this, I’ve decided the best thing to do is get a rooster and keep him at my place for a week. I can make a cage so he can’t stand up fully and announce to the neighbors that he’s a stallion and ready to go. We can collect the eggs from our hens that we love dearly and incubate them. An ISA Brown and Rhode Island Red or Barred Rock or Aloha should make a fairly decent cross. You might lose the layer but gain some meat. And our hens are great chicks!

ive enclosed a link to my Bitchute channel so you can see our ISA Browns foraging and sitting on my lap. If you’re remotely interested in our setup, check out the other videos.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/PlCT8VB54zz6/

After putting some thought into this, I’ve decided the best thing to do is get a rooster and keep him at my place for a week. I can make a cage so he can’t stand up fully and announce to the neighbors that he’s a stallion and ready to go. We can collect the eggs from our hens that we love dearly and incubate them. An ISA Brown and Rhode Island Red or Barred Rock or Aloha should make a fairly decent cross. You might lose the layer but gain some meat. And our hens are great chicks!

ive enclosed a link to my Bitchute channel so you can see our ISA Browns foraging and sitting on my lap. If you’re remotely interested in our setup, check out the other videos.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/PlCT8VB54zz6/
I think you drank a bit much before you recorded! 😆 love your pretty chickens!

Duckling pics! The last pic is right after one hatched, just laid there passed out from the effort.
Dylan is perched above the ducklings, keeping an eye on them. They get too much attention!

Attachments

• IMG_6062.JPG
    IMG_6062.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6068.JPG
    IMG_6068.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6070.JPG
    IMG_6070.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG