Arizona Chickens

I'm glad that you are ok. I had to go to Tempe and Chandler this afternoon with my DH.

I guess that they are cutting yours down, is because of that wild fire I think it was last year. I think the people sued them because of it?
they're also probably trimming the brush so that if a fire comes through the area, the lines going through the fire can still supply power to the Valley. I know someone who used to work for SRP and they had to keep the area maintained. Also so they can access the lines if needed I think.

It's tempting to get the chicks, but they would be a few weeks older than my (hopeful) upcoming hatch, and that size and age difference might cause bullying, I don't know. I do know that my eggs need to go into lockdown today, since I put them in the incubator on Thursday, 4/22. I heard that you are supposed to put them in with the air cell facing up, but the Leghorn eggs are completely dark, and I can't see any air cells. Hopefully this is because of dark colored chicks, since they are cuckoo colored. The one surviving Dorking egg does have an air cell and there was movement in it this morning.

It's tempting to get the chicks, but they would be a few weeks older than my (hopeful) upcoming hatch, and that size and age difference might cause bullying, I don't know. I do know that my eggs need to go into lockdown today, since I put them in the incubator on Thursday, 4/22. I heard that you are supposed to put them in with the air cell facing up, but the Leghorn eggs are completely dark, and I can't see any air cells. Hopefully this is because of dark colored chicks, since they are cuckoo colored. The one surviving Dorking egg does have an air cell and there was movement in it this morning.
I have added chicks at 4 weeks old, the ones I added were hatched by @BlueBaby and were 2 weeks older, they did just fine. When they are young, there is less trouble adding. At a ~week apart, these guys would be fine to add whenever, I would think. They hatched last Wednesday, they will be 1 week old tomorrow. I will probably be able to tell their sex by 4 weeks old and then they won't need heat any more, & easier to transport. (Even in a Smart Car)!

If only one hatches, she will need siblings. It would probably be worth the drive to Prescott. *sigh* I am certifiably insane....
Not on here, on BYC you are normal.;)
I drove about 3 hours to trade chickens with @BlueBaby , 6 hours total, I felt pretty much done, I17 was crappy that day! Arizona is a big place. If you came mid-week, you could stay in the bunkhouse and make a vacation out of it. Here is a link to our place. https://airbnb.com/h/aspen-creek-bunkhouse

Wasn't that in California? But it's nice that they were taking precautions.

Good news--Whisper has gone more than a week without laying an egg with blood on it. She was off to a rough start, but now her eggs are the same size as the others and blood free. :)

Yes, it was. That alone could make them afraid that it could happen to them here also.

Not on here, on BYC you are normal.;)
I drove about 3 hours to trade chickens with @BlueBaby , 6 hours total, I felt pretty much done, I17 was crappy that day! Arizona is a big place. If you came mid-week, you could stay in the bunkhouse and make a vacation out of it. Here is a link to our place. https://airbnb.com/h/aspen-creek-bunkhouse
That's really generous of you, but I would need to return the same day. The dogs can't be left alone that long.

YIKES!!! Yesterday was Day 18. I'm going to put some no-slip stuff in the bottom and get them into lockdown right now.

Back
Top Bottom