Arizona Chickens

Well it hit 108 here yesterday. We rarely near 100 and might get 2 or 3 days at 100 in August.

less than 2 weeks into June and we are HOT, dangerously so. I lost a Delaware hen yesterday afternoon due to heat and fear she will not be the only one.

This coming week they say is even going to be hotter. I cleaned up my mister's nozzles yesterday evening, and had to put a new battery in the timer. I soaked the nozzles in some of that CLR. I don't like the mister's because they bring in more flies, but I guess that I will have to deal with it because I'd rather not loose my flock.

This coming week they say is even going to be hotter. I cleaned up my mister's nozzles yesterday evening, and had to put a new battery in the timer. I soaked the nozzles in some of that CLR. I don't like the mister's because they bring in more flies, but I guess that I will have to deal with it because I'd rather not loose my flock.
Up here I'm hoping to get away with the battery powered fan with mister in front of it, to blow some coolness on the roost around roost time, and intermittently during the day, along with the puddles and wet trays of bricks and ice bottles. I don't envy you in the Valley and hotter areas!

@wolfwalker I can only hope that your weather patterns are causing the heat wave to come to you first so you'll get relief sooner than some of us further west and north. Sorry to hear about the loss of the hen.

I just gave everybody some nice cold cucumber for the seeds and moisture. The Dorkings are in a little spot next to the house where it stays cooler, but there's no room there for a second enclosure. They say Leghorns are supposed to be heat tolerant, but mine are more black than white.

The Dorking eggs no longer have bullseyes, and I'm not sure I could candle the Leghorn eggs and see much of anything this early. Mari has a tendency to poop in the nest box, and I clean it out when I see it, but there are some skid marks on some of the eggs. I don't want to clean them and remove the bloom. :(

Sorry to hear about the Delaware. Poor bird.

Just a quick update. Apparently I jinxed it by saying the three chicks were doing fine. They seemed great until just a little bit ago, when one of them started showing symptoms just like the two that died. I put the antibiotic in their water. They are still in the brooder, since they're not fully feathered yet. Hope she makes it. :(

Just a quick update. Apparently I jinxed it by saying the three chicks were doing fine. They seemed great until just a little bit ago, when one of them started showing symptoms just like the two that died. I put the antibiotic in their water. They are still in the brooder, since they're not fully feathered yet. Hope she makes it. :(

I'm sorry that's happening to you with that batch of chick's. If those people that you bought them from ever get up and running again, I wouldn't buy anymore from them.

I'm sorry that's happening to you with that batch of chick's. If those people that you bought them from ever get up and running again, I wouldn't buy anymore from them.
She died last night. I'm going to keep the antibiotic in the water for several days to hopefully prevent the other two from getting whatever this is.

Lost 2 more yesterday afternoon and possibly another as it was not doing well all of a sudden this morning. I put pools with wet sand in all the runs yesterday and only the Aloha's really used them, digging shallow cool pits to lay in. It's going to be a long week.

Mine had been using their wading pan's that I have out there for them, and I got the mister back up out there yesterday. I had to replace one of the nozzles' on the mister because it was just shooting a stream of water instead of misting. Good thing that I had spares of those on hand. We are getting up there in killing heat temp's.

Back
Top Bottom