Arizona Chickens

If it was a predator, it might come back. I hope you will be able to find out and get to the bottom of the problem.
It must be a daytime predator so I suspect a neighbor dog or one of the many field cats on patrol but could also be racoon, skunk, javelina, coyote, etc. I have to check the fence today to see if any evidence (feathers, blood, etc.). That run fence is a hodgepodge of 10 kinds of fencing mostly by previous owner so I'm sure I missed a gap somewhere in need of repair.

This kind of makes me want to be an expert at fencing & animal enclosures. I know it drives my DH crazy (as a professional building trades guy) to see the hodgepodge fencing and carpentry of our farm buildings. I've already decided the pallet pig pen has to go and a new pen built if we ever get pigs.

It must be a daytime predator so I suspect a neighbor dog or one of the many field cats on patrol but could also be racoon, skunk, javelina, coyote, etc. I have to check the fence today to see if any evidence (feathers, blood, etc.). That run fence is a hodgepodge of 10 kinds of fencing mostly by previous owner so I'm sure I missed a gap somewhere in need of repair.

This kind of makes me want to be an expert at fencing & animal enclosures. I know it drives my DH crazy (as a professional building trades guy) to see the hodgepodge fencing and carpentry of our farm buildings. I've already decided the pallet pig pen has to go and a new pen built if we ever get pigs.

If it's driving your DH crazy by the way that fence is, you could always let him fix it the way that he think's that it should be.

If it's driving your DH crazy by the way that fence is, you could always let him fix it the way that he think's that it should be.
He might just do it after he sees the hen. I can just mention in passing some things I'm planning next - example: getting an old fridge & freezer in the well house running - and he couldn't so he's hauling them off today. I didn't have to lift a finger even helping him move them!

He might just do it after he sees the hen. I can just mention in passing some things I'm planning next - example: getting an old fridge & freezer in the well house running - and he couldn't so he's hauling them off today. I didn't have to lift a finger even helping him move them!

I guess that's one way to get thing's done! :gig

I bought one of those Nurture Right 360's but haven't tried it out yet. If the hatch under Mari fails, it'll be time to try it out.

Yesterday all the chickens got cold watermelon and cucumber to help them deal with the heat. Everybody went straight for the cucumber except Big Ben, who liked the watermelon. He's crowing right now, probably asking for more watermelon.

Thanks for the reminder. This would be a good week to use the solar oven.
I had read some of the thread and reviews on the NR 360, and I bet it'd be great for you since all the eggs will be not just light, but white. If I ever get my life and back yard under control I'd love to get some hatching eggs.

I had read some of the thread and reviews on the NR 360, and I bet it'd be great for you since all the eggs will be not just light, but white. If I ever get my life and back yard under control I'd love to get some hatching eggs.
If you're interested in cuckoo Leghorn hatching eggs, I can give you some. Three of the five eggs that Mari is sitting on have embryos in them, hopefully I didn't disturb them too much by checking today.

It's almost tempting to make a trip to the valley and get some fertile eggs from Trader Joe's just to see what, if anything, might hatch. That would be fun! :) I've thought about it. Almost did it the day I got Dora and Mari from BlueBaby.

If I were to put some eggs into the new incubator today, any chicks would be about a week behind the ones Mari is hatching. She would be taking care of them for a while, so by the time I put hers and the others together, they age difference should be minimal. Resisting temptation is not something I do very well. :celebrate
Lots of people mix day-olds and week-olds.... And you'd have a backup plan should either Mari or the new incubator give you just a single chick....

If I were to put some eggs into the new incubator today, any chicks would be about a week behind the ones Mari is hatching. She would be taking care of them for a while, so by the time I put hers and the others together, they age difference should be minimal. Resisting temptation is not something I do very well. :celebrate

Some broodies might not accept any that hatched a week after their clutch did, so you would have to keep an eye out on it if you tried.

Back
Top Bottom