Arizona Chickens

I have a feeling that anyone that looses their house to a fire will realize this point also.
yep. my former neighbors lost their house to a single house fire and 2.5 yrs later are still rebuilding. she had long since gave up her chickens but still had a nice garden that the insurance company required to be torn down. I hate to think of it happening to a bunch of people let alone two people. and that was at a time when illegal activity didn't get you hotel accommodations at the taxpayers expense.

yep. my former neighbors lost their house to a single house fire and 2.5 yrs later are still rebuilding. she had long since gave up her chickens but still had a nice garden that the insurance company required to be torn down. I hate to think of it happening to a bunch of people let alone two people. and that was at a time when illegal activity didn't get you hotel accommodations at the taxpayers expense.

Yes, there are a few sad stories like that, and more to come like it I think.

Yes, there are a few sad stories like that, and more to come like it I think.
I could tell you a few, but we probably have to pretend to be PC people here. Not that I fake things very well....

Dorkings are a fairly docile breed. How big do the chicks need to be before I put them together with the two I got from you? It's been too hot out to work on the new coop, and I want to finish painting it and add a run and screen door, then put the Dorking chicks and adult Dorkings in it, plus or minus Mari, followed by the Leghorns. Or would it be better to put everyone in it all at once? I will need the brooder in a little under 3 weeks, and want to use the coop holding the Leghorns for the upcoming hatch once they're old enough to go outside, probably in late August or early September.

I could tell you a few, but we probably have to pretend to be PC people here. Not that I fake things very well....

Dorkings are a fairly docile breed. How big do the chicks need to be before I put them together with the two I got from you? It's been too hot out to work on the new coop, and I want to finish painting it and add a run and screen door, then put the Dorking chicks and adult Dorkings in it, plus or minus Mari, followed by the Leghorns. Or would it be better to put everyone in it all at once? I will need the brooder in a little under 3 weeks, and want to use the coop holding the Leghorns for the upcoming hatch once they're old enough to go outside, probably in late August or early September.

Do you have an XL wire dog crate? They work well inside of a coop and/or run like the one's that I have over here. Mine are the foldable one's. I have 2 of them in there in mine. One of them I attached some 1/2-inch hardware cloth wire going up about 12-inches from the bottom that I use for my chick's grow-out pen when I move them outside. The other one I left as is and it's a multi-purpose one for rooster's or broody hen's. Right now the rooster is in that one, because as hot as it is I wanted to give the hen's a break from him.

Do you have an XL wire dog crate? They work well inside of a coop and/or run like the one's that I have over here. Mine are the foldable one's. I have 2 of them in there in mine. One of them I attached some 1/2-inch hardware cloth wire going up about 12-inches from the bottom that I use for my chick's grow-out pen when I move them outside. The other one I left as is and it's a multi-purpose one for rooster's or broody hen's. Right now the rooster is in that one, because as hot as it is I wanted to give the hen's a break from him.
Yes, the extra large wire dog crate is where I kept the Dorkings for a few days until I could get the chicken tractor built. I plan to put it outside without the bottom pan so the two Dorking chicks can scratch in the dirt and see what it's like to be outside for short periods of time.

I just put little aprons on all the Leghorn hens due to Big Ben's amorous ways. They screamed like they were being murdered, and two of the aprons aren't perfectly straight. Big Ben came up to me and screamed in my face while I was holding the struggling, screaming hens, but did not even try to attack me. Good boy! My face was right by him. They calmed down right away when they were replaced into their run. Enough excitement for one day. Whew!

I just put little aprons on all the Leghorn hens due to Big Ben's amorous ways. They screamed like they were being murdered, and two of the aprons aren't perfectly straight. Big Ben came up to me and screamed in my face while I was holding the struggling, screaming hens, but did not even try to attack me. Good boy! My face was right by him. They calmed down right away when they were replaced into their run. Enough excitement for one day. Whew!

Has Ben tried to pull the apron's off of the hen's yet?

Back
Top Bottom