Arizona Chickens

LOL, no, I'm fine, thank you! My house is not currently threatened by wildfires, but the house I lived in prior to this one (south of Flagstaff) definitely is. It was sold 2 years ago, but it still feels funny to see it threatened again. When I lived there, I had to run from the Slide Fire (May of 2014).

I've been working on the new coop, doing things around the house, celebrated another birthday, and been yakking on the phone.

Mari may or may not hatch those eggs. She's been pooping in the nest, so there are skid marks on 4 of them, and only one was clean when I checked in yesterday. I suspect it's one laid by either her or Dora, and not a Leghorn egg. It's hard to tell when everybody lays white eggs. They've been snacking on eggs every so often. But they're still young, and will probably do better when they get older. Tonight I plan to candle the eggs in the incubator.

LOL, no, I'm fine, thank you! My house is not currently threatened by wildfires, but the house I lived in prior to this one (south of Flagstaff) definitely is. It was sold 2 years ago, but it still feels funny to see it threatened again. When I lived there, I had to run from the Slide Fire (May of 2014).

I've been working on the new coop, doing things around the house, celebrated another birthday, and been yakking on the phone.

Mari may or may not hatch those eggs. She's been pooping in the nest, so there are skid marks on 4 of them, and only one was clean when I checked in yesterday. I suspect it's one laid by either her or Dora, and not a Leghorn egg. It's hard to tell when everybody lays white eggs. They've been snacking on eggs every so often. But they're still young, and will probably do better when they get older. Tonight I plan to candle the eggs in the incubator.
Happy Belated Birthday! So glad to hear you and yours are ok - excited to see what you find out on candling!

I'm relieved to know that you are ok, and Happy belated Birthday! 🎂

glad to hear you're OK and happy belated birthday!

Here's the pre-hatch report:

I dug the eggs that Mari was sitting on out of the straw and candled them. There were 4 Dorking sized eggs with no chicks, and 1 Leghorn sized egg with a chick inside but no movement. This hatch is due July 1st or 2nd. I know they have been eating eggs and no eggs were laid outside the nest that Mari is in.

I just candled the eggs in the incubator. This is Day 7 for them. Five definitely had chicks, and 4-5 were maybes. I'm still pretty amateur at this candling business.

I plan to let Mari continue to sit on the eggs, and the next time she goes broody, I'll pull all the real eggs out from under her and replace them with ceramic ones to try to break them both of eating eggs. They always have plenty of food, there's no reason for them to eat eggs or maybe even chicks. Ewww. That's cannibalism. Yuck.

Here's the pre-hatch report:

I dug the eggs that Mari was sitting on out of the straw and candled them. There were 4 Dorking sized eggs with no chicks, and 1 Leghorn sized egg with a chick inside but no movement. This hatch is due July 1st or 2nd. I know they have been eating eggs and no eggs were laid outside the nest that Mari is in.

I just candled the eggs in the incubator. This is Day 7 for them. Five definitely had chicks, and 4-5 were maybes. I'm still pretty amateur at this candling business.

I plan to let Mari continue to sit on the eggs, and the next time she goes broody, I'll pull all the real eggs out from under her and replace them with ceramic ones to try to break them both of eating eggs. They always have plenty of food, there's no reason for them to eat eggs or maybe even chicks. Ewww. That's cannibalism. Yuck.

You need to break them now if they are eating the egg's. If you wait, it will probably be near to impossible to break them of that.

Back
Top Bottom