Arizona Chickens

Others have more experience with that - but I would keep them separate for a while or maybe within sight of each other until the littles can hold their own. Then maybe secure their door open just enough so only littles can get in or out to freedom or safety at their choice.
That idea really works, CaroleW! This year I bought chicks 4 weeks apart. I'll never do that again if I can help it! I built a door with wire mesh between the two groups and started the day old chicks under their light so they were visible to the 4 week old ones. It wasn't until they were about 6-7 weeks old that I could dare allow them to be outside while the others were free ranging, and then only practically on my lap. Then I nailed the dividing door open just a bit and started letting the younger ones dash into the main pen. They always got pecked and chased, but they had somewhere only they could fit and not the bigger ones. It takes a looong time to integrate two "flocks" even when they are so close in age.
Now they are 19 weeks and 15 weeks old. The older ones still peck them away from the food or the roost, but I don't worry about true violence and harm anymore. But the first "flock" still hangs out together and the last "flock" still hangs out together....

Last edited:
Is it ok to let chickens sleep outside? My husband's digging the ground out around the perimeter of the run space to burry fencing so nothing can dig in. We already have a fence around the yard to keep out coyotes and other large animals and the run space is covered to keep out predatory birds. I know there are snakes but never seen one around here. They just didn't want to go in last night so we put them inside. When the big coop is done I figured we'd leave the door open so they can come and go as they want, not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Is it ok to let chickens sleep outside? My husband's digging the ground out around the perimeter of the run space to burry fencing so nothing can dig in. We already have a fence around the yard to keep out coyotes and other large animals and the run space is covered to keep out predatory birds. I know there are snakes but never seen one around here. They just didn't want to go in last night so we put them inside. When the big coop is done I figured we'd leave the door open so they can come and go as they want, not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Chickens generally refuse to sleep/roost where they feel unsafe. Could be an animal was in the run/coop, it was too dark, the roosts weren't private enough to make them feel secure, it wasn't their bedtime yet.... It depends on the risk you're comfortable with, especially if it's just for a day or two while he's burrying fencing. Animals you've never seen, often come around once they find out about the chickens and coyotes climb over some pretty tall fences (and dig I think). If the run will keep out predatory birds, it may or may not slow down/stop other animals. FWIW I had successfully used a 1-2" netting over the top of a run, and shade cloth and didn't have any problems for several months, and there were racoons nearby (and a family of mountain lions actually). And a lot of people lay the wire around the pen as an apron instead of digging especially if the soil is actually solid rock, this might save hubby's back.

I have an indoor and an outdoor coop connected by a guillotine door, which stays open all night. Both pens are predator proof, even from snakes (metal roof, 1/4" wire mesh sides and a 3 ft skirt to prevent digging). Both coops are rainproof and have an 8' roost. My chickens don't want to stay on the outside roost, but a few times I have locked some of them out on purpose.
I'm in the middle of the desert with abundant coyotes, so just in case one would scare them to death pacing back and forth or trying to bite through wire, I also have a driveway alarm outside their pen to alert me in the house if there's a ruckus.
I'm a little nervous when I've locked some in the outdoor coop, but the alarm hasn't yet gone off, and all has been well. But still, for some reason, none have chosen to roost outside. I think if your outdoor space is absolutely predator proof, and they like it, why not?

p.s. Coyotes can clear 7-8' fences with ease.

Here's my outdoor coop. The indoor coop is inside the barn.

20210513_122411.jpg

Chickens generally refuse to sleep/roost where they feel unsafe. Could be an animal was in the run/coop, it was too dark, the roosts weren't private enough to make them feel secure, it wasn't their bedtime yet.... It depends on the risk you're comfortable with, especially if it's just for a day or two while he's burrying fencing. Animals you've never seen, often come around once they find out about the chickens and coyotes climb over some pretty tall fences (and dig I think). If the run will keep out predatory birds, it may or may not slow down/stop other animals. FWIW I had successfully used a 1-2" netting over the top of a run, and shade cloth and didn't have any problems for several months, and there were racoons nearby (and a family of mountain lions actually). And a lot of people lay the wire around the pen as an apron instead of digging especially if the soil is actually solid rock, this might save hubby's back.

That's true about the coyotes, and a man that I know over here lost some of his flock from a coyote that jumped a 7 foot fence.

That's true about the coyotes, and a man that I know over here lost some of his flock from a coyote that jumped a 7 foot fence.
Researched coyote rollers - there are ways to DIY them also - I haven't had to install this type of protection yet. May or may not work... just throwing that out there...

Will hens share nesting boxes or do I need to build 1 for each of them?
When you have multiple nest boxes. they still all try to crowd into a certain one.
I suggest you build a communal one that is double, or triple wide. This way more than one hen goes to lay at same time comfortably
When you have very large flock,,, of course you need multiple nesting. boxes. .

Back
Top Bottom