Arizona Chickens

He is beautiful! I like the boys, but I had to send my 2 best ones to @BlueBaby due to my neighbor calling animal control. Now she is cruising my neighborhood, and she told me that she plays You Tube recordings of roosters crowing on her phone to get the roosters to crow back. Nice young lady, I told her we were sending all the roosters to @CaroleW in Chino Valley!

Is it that neighbor that is doing that to you now? I sort of hope that a rattlesnake bite's your rattlesnake neighbor's.

With 15, is it unlikely that more than 2 would go broody and take up all the boxes? My husband was talking about doing 2 coops instead of 1 and both would have access to the same run space, will this be problematic like a chicken rivalry between the 2 coops or will they all try to cram into 1?
Did you pick out breed's that are likely to go broody? If you have breed's that are likely to go broody, then sometimes the broodiness is catchy among them. You won't get any egg's if several of them all go broody at the same time.

Did you pick out breed's that are likely to go broody? If you have breed's that are likely to go broody, then sometimes the broodiness is catchy among them. You won't get any egg's if several of them all go broody at the same time.
I'd have to ask what breeds all the younger ones are. The older girls are speckled sussex, I've heard they can be broody and the mystery grey one nobody has been able to identify just yet so idk anything about it other than it's the most affectionate of them all. 6 different breeds, my husband didn't research any before he bought them, just randomly picked from tractor supply.

I'd have to ask what breeds all the younger ones are. The older girls are speckled sussex, I've heard they can be broody and the mystery grey one nobody has been able to identify just yet so idk anything about it other than it's the most affectionate of them all. 6 different breeds, my husband didn't research any before he bought them, just randomly picked from tractor supply.

I've heard that tractor supply get's their chick's from Hoover Hatchery, so you can go to this link and see what one that yours look's like:

https://pe.hoovershatchery.com/breeds/brown-egg-layers/

I have an indoor and an outdoor coop connected by a guillotine door, which stays open all night. Both pens are predator proof, even from snakes (metal roof, 1/4" wire mesh sides and a 3 ft skirt to prevent digging). Both coops are rainproof and have an 8' roost. My chickens don't want to stay on the outside roost, but a few times I have locked some of them out on purpose.
I'm in the middle of the desert with abundant coyotes, so just in case one would scare them to death pacing back and forth or trying to bite through wire, I also have a driveway alarm outside their pen to alert me in the house if there's a ruckus.
I'm a little nervous when I've locked some in the outdoor coop, but the alarm hasn't yet gone off, and all has been well. But still, for some reason, none have chosen to roost outside. I think if your outdoor space is absolutely predator proof, and they like it, why not?

p.s. Coyotes can clear 7-8' fences with ease.

Here's my outdoor coop. The indoor coop is inside the barn.

View attachment 2775963
Awesome set up. Thank you for sharing.

I hope everyone in Miami Arizona is fine after that flash flood yesterday.
photo for fun.
D0D5A7A9-CEE6-4D89-8639-67C64658017E.jpeg

Is it that neighbor that is doing that to you now? I sort of hope that a rattlesnake bite's your rattlesnake neighbor's.
Once you get reported to Animal Control, their computer remembers. They said my chicken keeping neighbor got a warning 4 years ago. So she was scheduled to get the ticket this time, but I kept the officer from having to talk to her by taking her chicken. The letter of the rule is the next time they come to your house, you get a ticket. I told her that I had some young ones, that might start to crow soon, she just said to get rid of them before I got reported again so she doesn't have to come again. That is what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom