Arizona Chickens

They certainly go after any old meat that's in the garbage can on garbage day! I used to have to bungee the trash can to the fence. Now I don't have a fence so just hope the javelina don't find the garbage at the new place.
Really! this is news to me and very interesting. I have a bachelor degree in wildlife biology and retired from a 30 year career as a wildlife biologist in southern Arizona. At the time of my retirement there was no documented evidence of javelina eating meat. I would like to know more about your experience. PM me if you like. Did you see the javelina knock the can over and eat the meat?

They certainly go after any old meat that's in the garbage can on garbage day! I used to have to bungee the trash can to the fence. Now I don't have a fence so just hope the javelina don't find the garbage at the new place.
Just because they are supposed to have bad eyesight doesn't mean that their sniffer's are out of order.

Really! this is news to me and very interesting. I have a bachelor degree in wildlife biology and retired from a 30 year career as a wildlife biologist in southern Arizona. At the time of my retirement there was no documented evidence of javelina eating meat. I would like to know more about your experience. PM me if you like. Did you see the javelina knock the can over and eat the meat?
Sorry, no video footage. I had seen javelina in the area and at least once, I personally saw three of them getting into my garbage cans.

Maybe they were really hungry?
Maybe they were really hungry?
I can tell you that javelinas are not true pigs, they are not carnivores or omnivores, they have a digestive system of a vegetarian, and to my knowledge there has never been any indication in diet and stomach content studies that javelina eat meat. There is also something to be said about abnormal circumstances and opportunity. Just recently all over the internet news was the first documented case of a giant tortoise eating meat, when one chowed down on a hatchling sea bird. I was with another biologist near Wickenburg one time when we saw a vermillion flycather not eating flying insects the way it is suppose to do but grabbing minnows out of the creek. New and different things happen all the time particularly in the natural world and it makes life interesting.

Just because they are supposed to have bad eyesight doesn't mean that their sniffer's are out of order.
That is very true. If you believe evolutionary biologist, javelina evolved in the dense jungles of central central America where eye sight was less important than smell and hearing. if you have ever been close to them you know that they have a sent gland on their rump, you can watch them stand nose tor rump and rub each others glands. They know each other and stay together through smell not sight. fascinating animals

That is very true. If you believe evolutionary biologist, javelina evolved in the dense jungles of central central America where eye sight was less important than smell and hearing. if you have ever been close to them you know that they have a sent gland on their rump, you can watch them stand nose tor rump and rub each others glands. They know each other and stay together through smell not sight. fascinating animals
I've heard that their closest relative is a hippo.

Caught the mouse! Released it into a wash five miles away. It seemed fine. Amazing how a tiny thing like that could kill me without even touching me. I'm still battling a bad asthma attack but my housemate cleaned up everything as best she could. We have additional traps set up around the house, just in case, but I hope it just accidentally wandered in on its own. We haven't found any chewed food items and we've been through the pantry and all the cupboards.

This morning I also scored some free "dirty but sturdy" used lumber on Craigslist. That bumped up construction of our henhouse by at least a month! I'm not usually fast enough to claim any of the free curbside items but it was rainy this morning so I guess no one was out looking for things.

Back
Top Bottom