Arizona Chickens

I have unpacked them to rest.
Did you tuck them in as well :hugs
resting..PNG

@cavemanrich No, I didn't but I had to put them in a jumbo sized egg carton because a few of the dozen were so big!
You're going to need a bigger chicken coop and a larger freezer before too long. And we're going to need some cute chick pictures when they hatch. :)

What's with purple combs? Two days ago, Dora was acting perfectly normal, scratching around in the dirt with the others, but her comb was super purple. Yesterday it looked normal again. Would cold weather cause that, and if so, why with only one bird and not the others?

Last edited:
Any AZ chicken people out there? I am looking for some advice on raising chicks in the desert. I'm in Mesa. Does it get too hot out here? I have four 20 day old chicks, 3 Buff Orps and 1 leghorn. Do we need to do anything special here
Hi paynemom. I live in the high desert as well, Lancaster, Ca. My chickens really prefer our winter months over the summer months. But in the summer, I provide them with a dusting bathtub, make sure they have lots of fresh water available. They have plenty of shade as we have over 40 mature tree's, and during the summer my chickens will always seek out which tree's I'm watering and they'll hangout there or near my raised gardens where they can nestle down in the damp cool dirt, and during the summer months in the late afternoon, I give them treats, usually tomatoe's or some type of melon. Make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation so they don't over heat during the nights when they're roosting. Other than shade, water dusting bath and some refreshing treats they should be fine.

You're going to need a bigger chicken coop and a larger freezer before too long. And we're going to need some cute chick pictures when they hatch. :)

What's with purple combs? Two days ago, Dora was acting perfectly normal, scratching around in the dirt with the others, but her comb was super purple. Yesterday it looked normal again. Would cold weather cause that, and if so, why with only one bird and not the others?

Well, actually I will be selling the one's that are out in the coop right now to make room for these Bielefelder's and NN/Bielefelder's and try to specialize in those. That's why I am getting the hatching eggs from different sources to make sure that there is gene diversity when they are old enough to start breeding.

I don't know why she would have a purple comb, and then go back to being normal again. Keep an eye on her just in case.

Hi paynemom. I live in the high desert as well, Lancaster, Ca. My chickens really prefer our winter months over the summer months. But in the summer, I provide them with a dusting bathtub, make sure they have lots of fresh water available. They have plenty of shade as we have over 40 mature tree's, and during the summer my chickens will always seek out which tree's I'm watering and they'll hangout there or near my raised gardens where they can nestle down in the damp cool dirt, and during the summer months in the late afternoon, I give them treats, usually tomatoe's or some type of melon. Make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation so they don't over heat during the nights when they're roosting. Other than shade, water dusting bath and some refreshing treats they should be fine.

Hello, and welcome! Thanks' for stopping by our Arizona state's thread!

I just stuck my 12 shipped NN/Bielefelder hatching egg's in the incubator about 1/2 hour ago. The hatch date is Dec. 17th.
Awww, you'll have little chicks for Christmas! How nice!

And I'm watching Dora. She acts perfectly normal, but her comb is not as pink as the other girls' combs. I hope she'll be OK.

Back
Top Bottom