Arizona Chickens

We're going to need duckling pictures. You know that, right? :D

As far as bedding, what about pine needles? I have friends in the Flagstaff area from when I lived there who would LOVE for anybody to pick up and haul off huge bags of pine needles.
Pine needles worked pretty good for the rabbit nesting boxes back when I raised rabbit's year's ago.

So lately I’ve noticed that the chickens have begun roosting on top of their nesting boxes instead of on their roosts. Not all of them fit on top which often leaves one or two off and since they are crowded they sometimes peck or try shoving eachother off, how do I get them to stop? Last weekend we deep cleaned the entire coop so I’m not sure if they don’t like the location of the roost anymore or maybe the height? And now I’m not sure how to get them off of the boxes now that they’ve gotten used to spending the night there :barnie any tips? The nesting boxes are about a foot off the ground and can be removed so should I try removing them for a night to see if they roost normally?

Our roosts are overdue for a makeover so any roost inspiration or advice will also help :)

So lately I’ve noticed that the chickens have begun roosting on top of their nesting boxes instead of on their roosts. Not all of them fit on top which often leaves one or two off and since they are crowded they sometimes peck or try shoving eachother off, how do I get them to stop? Last weekend we deep cleaned the entire coop so I’m not sure if they don’t like the location of the roost anymore or maybe the height? And now I’m not sure how to get them off of the boxes now that they’ve gotten used to spending the night there :barnie any tips? The nesting boxes are about a foot off the ground and can be removed so should I try removing them for a night to see if they roost normally?

Our roosts are overdue for a makeover so any roost inspiration or advice will also help :)
Usually if the roosts are higher than the top of the nestboxes, the birds prefer the roosts (they prefer the highest possible spot). Also, if you have a steep slope to the roof of the nestboxes, that prevents them from roosting on them. If the roosts are too "out in the open" like near the hardware cloth window etc they don't feel safe too. But show us some pictures and have the experts see what you're dealing with.

FAC545FF-D2CA-49AC-9C4B-B33A34F35838.jpeg
Usually if the roosts are higher than the top of the nestboxes, the birds prefer the roosts (they prefer the highest possible spot). Also, if you have a steep slope to the roof of the nestboxes, that prevents them from roosting on them. If the roosts are too "out in the open" like near the hardware cloth window etc they don't feel safe too. But show us some pictures and have the experts see what you're dealing with.
I cracked my phones camera a few weeks ago so I can’t take any new pictures:idunnobut I’ll see if I have any pictures saved from before and upload them here as I wasn’t planning on finding a replacement until Christmas. We did move the roosts closer to the entrance because we thought it would be easier to clean so I’ll try moving it back either tonight or tomorrow. Our nesting boxes are similar to this picture I found, and they all sleep perched on top and leave it very messy in the mornings :thOur roost is about two or three feet above the ground and one long row rather than multiple levels which might be another factor we need to update. I may just end up redoing their roosting area all together over the holidays as it’s not too hot outside anymore. Edit: the picture I tried attaching of the nest boxes uploaded weirdly for some reason and I can’t seem to fix it, it’s been a long day LOL.

I cracked my phones camera a few weeks ago so I can’t take any new pictures:idunnobut I’ll see if I have any pictures saved from before and upload them here as I wasn’t planning on finding a replacement until Christmas. We did move the roosts closer to the entrance because we thought it would be easier to clean so I’ll try moving it back either tonight or tomorrow. Our nesting boxes are similar to this picture I found, and they all sleep perched on top and leave it very messy in the mornings :thOur roost is about two or three feet above the ground and one long row rather than multiple levels which might be another factor we need to update. I may just end up redoing their roosting area all together over the holidays as it’s not too hot outside anymore. Edit: the picture I tried attaching of the nest boxes uploaded weirdly for some reason and I can’t seem to fix it, it’s been a long day LOL.
Do you have room in your coop to add a second higher roosting bar? Maybe that would fix your problem with that.

Do you have room in your coop to add a second higher roosting bar? Maybe that would fix your problem with that.
Yes I think that will be our best bet. My RIR still tends to peck at the others when roosting so I think more space and more roosts will be a good choice. I’ll be looking into different styles this weekend and hopefully have it done before the holidays. Thanks for your suggestions :hugs

Back
Top Bottom