Arizona Chickens

I’ll be looking into different styles this weekend and hopefully have it done before the holidays.
My chicken roosts are natural branches that I sanded away any sharp bark knots so no foot injuries. A 2 to 3 inch diameter branch works ideally. Leave bark on to provide good grip.
I personally like it because it simulates a tree.
Chickens are birds last I checked :old :caf

In previous times,, I used regular lumber boards. I then rolled onto wood, layers of newspaper to create a somewhat rounded shape. Stapled Indoor-outdoor carpet over the newspapers. This gave chickens a roost with traction so they would not get bumped off easily.

My chicken roosts are natural branches that I sanded away any sharp bark knots so no foot injuries. A 2 to 3 inch diameter branch works ideally. Leave bark on to provide good grip.
I personally like it because it simulates a tree.
Chickens are birds last I checked :old :caf

In previous times,, I used regular lumber boards. I then rolled onto wood, layers of newspaper to create a somewhat rounded shape. Stapled Indoor-outdoor carpet over the newspapers. This gave chickens a roost with traction so they would not get bumped off easily.
Our neighbor has a very large tree that grows over the brick wall so I may cut down a few branches the next time we trim it down :) do branches pose any problems at all when it comes to bugs or critters? Should I wait a few days after cutting it off to use it in their coop?

Our neighbor has a very large tree that grows over the brick wall so I may cut down a few branches the next time we trim it down :) do branches pose any problems at all when it comes to bugs or critters? Should I wait a few days after cutting it off to use it in their coop?
I'd just keep an eye out for bark scorpions and the like, both on the branch and on the branches above the one you're cutting.

Oh man do I hate bark scorpions. I had a friend who was stung by one on her foot. The pain went up her leg and into her back. She said the pain was the worst thing she'd ever felt, worse than dental pain, worse than broken bones, worse than childbirth. One little scorpion! That was probably twenty ago and that leg is still weaker than the other, and she still gets electrical "zapping" sensations all along those nerves.

Has anyone here lost a chicken to a bark scorpion? How did you know that was the cause of death?

Oh man do I hate bark scorpions. I had a friend who was stung by one on her foot. The pain went up her leg and into her back. She said the pain was the worst thing she'd ever felt, worse than dental pain, worse than broken bones, worse than childbirth. One little scorpion! That was probably twenty ago and that leg is still weaker than the other, and she still gets electrical "zapping" sensations all along those nerves.

Has anyone here lost a chicken to a bark scorpion? How did you know that was the cause of death?
I haven't, and I used to live in a place that had a total of a dozen scorpions in the house! Good thing is that the chickens will at least eat many of the bugs that the scorpions would eat. I believe if a dog gets bit, it would need to go to the ER but no experience with chickens being stung.

Once I was sitting in the living room at our old house watching tv and my housemate walked across the room and she suddenly started grunting and violently jumping up and down. I was too astonished to even ask what she was doing. She's such a gentle person I was really concerned that she just starting freaking out like that. It turned out she saw a bark scorpion on the carpet and she was killing it! I don't even know how she spotted it, the carpet was beige just like the scorpion, it blended in perfectly. Man I hate those things. That's the only time I've seen one indoors so far.

I rolled over on one of them one night in my sleep a few year's ago. It hurt for quite a few day's afterword's. Good thing my DH knew what to do about that, and it was in the middle of my back where I couldn't reach it.

I haven't, and I used to live in a place that had a total of a dozen scorpions in the house! Good thing is that the chickens will at least eat many of the bugs that the scorpions would eat. I believe if a dog gets bit, it would need to go to the ER but no experience with chickens being stung.
That dozen is only the one's that you seen or found.

Apparently the severity depends on how many times the scorpion stings you. They sting once or twice for prey but they triple-sting defensively, a rapid zzzt-zzzt-zzzt. Maybe you only got one sting!

How did he treat it?
He told me that it all depends on a person's system as to what the reaction will be. It's sort of like if a person is allergic to bee sting's or not. He put some absorbain jr. on it, and gave me a pain pill. If you are allergic to the venom, you can take some Benadryl.

Back
Top Bottom