Arizona Chickens

Looks like a very nice setup, with the shade, hose, pigeon deterrent spikes, chicken pool!
Thanks! The spikes are chicken deterrence lol. My two SS girls will jump onto the shade thing and then over the wall. They aren’t fun to catch, we had to use a fish net for one of them the last time.

I so enjoy seeing other people's setups (esp in AZ)! I'm still getting my area together. Finished building my nestbox today. Have the plastic box and pvc for the feeding station. Working on a roost area now.

Would you mind sharing a photo sometime of how you set up your roosting area? :fl
Sure, I’ll get a pic later today. My coop is very basic, a roost and nest boxes, nothing else.

This space has had a lot of changes over the years to be honest. I keep trying different things to find what works best for me and my crew.

@Gimpy Quail here is the inside of the coop. The front of the coop is half inch hardware cloth, no solid walls. I use whitewash inside the coop which is why the pattern is so wild in there.
20C3E148-CA50-4E26-B687-8EADBB473C17.jpeg

Right now the nest box is on blocks because there are ants in that corner but eventually it’ll be on the floor. Here’s a pic of the wall where the pop door is located. I had to close it because the rooster is a serious :rant and hasn’t gone into the freezer yet.
9547759A-99AC-4C24-8A1C-E66EA6A938E7.jpeg

All my chicks insist on being cuddled like this or on my lap in my arms. I have the other Wyandotte baby who crawls into your lap and wants a true cuddle with arms wrapped around her and your undivided attention. If you give it to the others in the flock, she nips you to say she is right there!

Everything I read up on says the breeds of babies I brought home are all stand-off ish and the older hens (5 months each) are supposed to be hands on types. I think they changed their personalities with each other! 😂😂

Dang do I love them all though!
View attachment 3171198
My Wandotte turned out to be the top hen - she's always first for treats and chases everyone away from food bowl until she's got her share and a half.

@Gimpy Quail here is the inside of the coop. The front of the coop is half inch hardware cloth, no solid walls. I use whitewash inside the coop which is why the pattern is so wild in there.
View attachment 3173977
Right now the nest box is on blocks because there are ants in that corner but eventually it’ll be on the floor. Here’s a pic of the wall where the pop door is located. I had to close it because the rooster is a serious :rant and hasn’t gone into the freezer yet
Thank you!!

Basic is what I'm after. I'm thinking roughly along the same lines -- a covered perching area that is open/airy. Mine won't have to be closable or 4-sided since it will be within a wire-enclosed run.

What's the pop door for? What do you mean- freezer?

Thank you!!

Basic is what I'm after. I'm thinking roughly along the same lines -- a covered perching area that is open/airy. Mine won't have to be closable or 4-sided since it will be within a wire-enclosed run.

What's the pop door for? What do you mean- freezer?
I close the chickens in at night and open the coop in the morning and they use the pop door so the human door isn’t always open. My flock doesn’t have a covered run.

My rooster is very aggressive. He has attacked me, my husband and my grandson and all of us more than once. Plus he’s not particularly nice to the girls and they pretty much ignore him unless he says he has treats. So saying your bird is headed for the freezer or freezer camp is a nicer? way of saying you’re going to kill it and eat it.

I close the chickens in at night and open the coop in the morning and they use the pop door so the human door isn’t always open. My flock doesn’t have a covered run.

My rooster is very aggressive. He has attacked me, my husband and my grandson and all of us more than once. Plus he’s not particularly nice to the girls and they pretty much ignore him unless he says he has treats. So saying your bird is headed for the freezer or freezer camp is a nicer? way of saying you’re going to kill it and eat it.
I should've figured that out... duhh 😅

Been making progress. This weekend we trenched and completed a water line (and electric line) out to the run/coop area. The water is also for my almost-ready 3 elevated raised garden beds that will be nearby.

I should've figured that out... duhh 😅

Been making progress. This weekend we trenched and completed a water line (and electric line) out to the run/coop area. The water is also for my almost-ready 3 elevated raised garden beds that will be nearby.
It feels so good to make progress doesn’t it? I would love to see some pics when you’re done!

Back
Top Bottom