Arizona Chickens

Sure will be nice to have some days in the 70s. I am so over the 60s and below. Been getting my starter plants planted in the garden beds. Ordered new shade cloth and tarps for the run. Need to get some dirt from the run for the little chicks to play in.

Here are my cuties... just because who doesn't like to see adorable chicks. :love

View attachment 3445937
They are SO cute! I can't wait to get my babies from @BlueBaby ,, we are unfortunately having to put down two of our hens. One of the ones we got has a tail that points straight down and we are scared to death it's going to make her eggbound when she already cakes her feces all over her backside. The other, which we had gotten the chicks for to keep her alive (Our flock of chicks she was in was killed by our roommate's husky), has brain damage. She is mostly blind and cannot read social queues. She has been panicking so bad that we have to pad the walls no matter where she's kept cause she runs headlong into the walls, So this new flock we will be raising are my "chicken math" equivalent of replacing the two we are losing LOL

They are SO cute! I can't wait to get my babies from @BlueBaby ,, we are unfortunately having to put down two of our hens. One of the ones we got has a tail that points straight down and we are scared to death it's going to make her eggbound when she already cakes her feces all over her backside. The other, which we had gotten the chicks for to keep her alive (Our flock of chicks she was in was killed by our roommate's husky), has brain damage. She is mostly blind and cannot read social queues. She has been panicking so bad that we have to pad the walls no matter where she's kept cause she runs headlong into the walls, So this new flock we will be raising are my "chicken math" equivalent of replacing the two we are losing LOL
I hope that she doesn't have something that might be catchy, as you wouldn't want to be bringing in new flock members that could catch it. Do you know what her problem is?

So this new flock we will be raising are my "chicken math" equivalent of replacing the two we are losing LOL
I get that! The 3 I got from @BlueBaby were to replace the one that died. Sounds like solid "chicken math" to me.
(OH, and my 2 new chicks are the same breed as the one that died... so technically I ended up with 5 extra chickens to replace the one. :lau )

I get that! The 3 I got from @BlueBaby were to replace the one that died. Sounds like solid "chicken math" to me.
(OH, and my 2 new chicks are the same breed as the one that died... so technically I ended up with 5 extra chickens to replace the one. :lau )
You have a rooster now, so you can hatch to replace instead of having to buy more chick's.

You have a rooster now, so you can hatch to replace instead of having to buy more chick's.
Yes! I plan to do that someday (once my math gets caught up, lol). The chicks I just bought are Browns like in my avatar, so I wanted to replace that one.

Lucky has been "getting to know" some of the other girls lately. He's been "taming the shrews." lol.

Yes! I plan to do that someday (once my math gets caught up, lol). The chicks I just bought are Browns like in my avatar, so I wanted to replace that one.

Lucky has been "getting to know" some of the other girls lately. He's been "taming the shrews." lol.
I know how that goes. When I loaned Hawkeye to the people next door that got my Naked Neck's from me, my girls were noisier while he was over there, but his were quieter then normal. Hawkeye sure bring's order to the girl's.

I hope that she doesn't have something that might be catchy, as you wouldn't want to be bringing in new flock members that could catch it. Do you know what her problem is?
She was crushed as a chick under the lid of her brooder box. The dog was standing on top of her trying to get her after tearing up all her siblings. I had to throw the dog outside and we rushed her straight to the emergency vet. They said they didn’t know how much damage was done because nothing was broken but she was in total shock and bruised up pretty bad at the time.

We ended up medicating her and giving her liquids ourselves for a week before she snapped out of it and her pupils stopped reacting to light.. so the damage was done. We had our fingers crossed that her being an inside the house hen would work out for her. Unfortunately it hasn’t. She panics at every noise and thrashes about in her box in fear at night and during the day she panics and runs headlong into furniture or walls.

Hahaha thank goodness my chicken math is on point! I am hoping to get one of her cockerels since they seem soooo sweet and docile. That way I can breed and replace chicks too instead of just constantly getting new babies when I have hens pass or have to ya know make myself dinner out of the roosters I get from going out and buying six at a time.

My ratio of boys vs girls is crazy! So her easy to sex babies are a must now. Lordy. Got 12 at one point ended up with 8 boys all supposedly sexed pullet 😭😭😭😂😂😂

She was crushed as a chick under the lid of her brooder box. The dog was standing on top of her trying to get her after tearing up all her siblings. I had to throw the dog outside and we rushed her straight to the emergency vet. They said they didn’t know how much damage was done because nothing was broken but she was in total shock and bruised up pretty bad at the time.

We ended up medicating her and giving her liquids ourselves for a week before she snapped out of it and her pupils stopped reacting to light.. so the damage was done. We had our fingers crossed that her being an inside the house hen would work out for her. Unfortunately it hasn’t. She panics at every noise and thrashes about in her box in fear at night and during the day she panics and runs headlong into furniture or walls.
That's so sad that she had to learn as a chick that just because you are in a box doesn't mean that you are safe. It seems that memory stayed with her.

That's so sad that she had to learn as a chick that just because you are in a box doesn't mean that you are safe. It seems that memory stayed with her.
Exactly. I brought her to the place that processes my roosters for me for food because these people are amazing. The place is called Top Knot Farm and is family owned by two brothers and their wives. The man I always talk to and have on my phone is the kindest man I have met who does the hardest job one has to do as a chicken owner.

He put her down kindly by placing her to sleep first and giving her a quick death. He hugged me and told me how sorry he was then gave me some of her feathers before we left. I will always recommend them as people to buy fresh chicken from or for having your babies put down/processed.

Back
Top Bottom