Arizona Chickens

Well,,,, I do need to brag a lil..:old My Banties switched into high gear recently. Not sure if pix of the Colonel in their clear viewing sight had anything to do with it.:idunno:gig:lau
This was a 2 days' worth. (5 bantams) The large egg on right is from my LF. I have 3, but one is going to be 11 year old pretty soon. Other 2 are not very young ether. I think 4 and 6, but I could be off by a year:idunno
I did not get them NEW, so going by what was said at time of acquisition,,,, Plus time with me. Only the 11 year old, I got as a chick. It was April 20th. so that translates to 4:20. I named her Mary Jane. :frow You figure out the rest:gig
View attachment 3447704
So,,, it is Easter time, and these marshmallow eggs are all over the stores. After we consumed one dozen from first carton,, I see that I can repurpose those cartons for bantam eggs.
View attachment 3447705
Large eggs would not fit into those small cartons.
Below are some of my eggs. The cartons are from store purchased eggs. I save them,, so that when I get extra eggs/more than what we can use,,,,,, I give away.
Over winter, my girls were on strike. I think from about October. Labor dispute was settled when days started getting longer, and warmer. We did accumulate quite a number of empty cartons over winter.
View attachment 3447706
Good idea on that Chocolate covered marshmallow carton, I bet that you could even save a couple to put those first LF pullet eggs in them to? I usually use those pullet egg's to mix Buster's med up in, but sometimes I have too many pullet's that are just starting out. That way I keep the bigger egg's to either eat, sell, or even scramble up to give back to the flock in some wet feed.

My girls that are pets more then anything are spoiled. I spent 45 mins cutting up greens for them only to have it consumed in less then 10 mins. I even added fresh thyme in with their food to give them an extra special treat. Now I can hear them all yelling cause they want more. I swear these little raptors need their own garden. Time to start up one as soon as I get some rocks cleared out the yard and fencing set up!

Can they eat green onions though? I save the ends of my green onions and regrow them buuut um.. I have more then i can eat and need to do something with them all

My girls that are pets more then anything are spoiled. I spent 45 mins cutting up greens for them only to have it consumed in less then 10 mins. I even added fresh thyme in with their food to give them an extra special treat. Now I can hear them all yelling cause they want more. I swear these little raptors need their own garden. Time to start up one as soon as I get some rocks cleared out the yard and fencing set up!

Can they eat green onions though? I save the ends of my green onions and regrow them buuut um.. I have more then i can eat and need to do something with them all
From what I was told, never feed them onion's. Save those for yourself. Onion's can be frozen in ziplock baggies for later use.

I've just been waiting until I think that they are big enough to handle themselves. You'd be surprised at how fast they are.

I had to go feed the animals next door again today as his job has him working over on the reservation in San Carlos and he thinks he has to stay there overnight.

😍😍😍😍

I have roos do that too...like @BlueBaby said, just roos being good boys.

I use escape doors. My grow out pens all either lift up on one edge to let the babies come and go or have a door too small for adults. I usually keep the babies secured for a week first before I give them access to the adult area too. I like doing it that way...reduces the stress on the babies I think.
Do you have a photo of any of your grow out pens? Would love to see.

. I swear these little raptors need their own garden. Time to start up one as soon as I get some rocks cleared out the yard and fencing set up!
I recently revived an abandoned herb garden I used to keep for my rabbits. I'm going to let it get overrun with mint since my chickens like mint. It's surrounded with chicken wire. So once established, I can open it up during their free range time and let them have at it.

@Happy Novogens My grow out pen is one of these. I removed the divider in it so they have all the space in it. I attached some hardware cloth to it going up about 12-inches from the bottom to keep their heads inside where the bigger chicken's couldn't peck them.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Kenn...96-b1b8-7d0679957f1d&pd_rd_i=B08768BWCZ&psc=1

Chicks in the grow out.jpg

That's what I was hoping but I believe it's more than they can take care of.
We have the same problem. Our goats won’t even eat them enough to make a dent. We have about 2 acres with waist high weeds and I am trying to figure out what to do to get rid of them as they pose a high fire hazard once they die on their own. I don’t want the husband to spray roundup as he has done in the past when we didn’t have chickens. HELP!

Back
Top Bottom