Arizona Chickens

This is no fun, what breed is she?
She's just a mix... Easter Egger -- is that what they're called? I think she's pretty but she goes broody more than any of the others.
They look older than 5-6 weeks. What are your temps at night?
I was told they were 3 days old when I got them. This photo was taken 4 days later -- presumably 1 week old. So if that looks right, then, yeah, they will be 6 weeks old this Monday.
Last night was lo 60s. Supposed to be in the 60s at night for the next few nights until Tues & Wed when its supposed to dip down to mid 50s.

Attachments

• 20230327_1 week old.jpg
    20230327_1 week old.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 1
Okay so I have looked at a crap ton of pictures of barred rock hens… is my hen full barred rock or a mix? I got her from Cal Ranch two years ago so who knows.. I just like that her lower back feathers all curl.
At times hatcheries need to add other genes from other birds. Looks like you have a little frizzle in this batch.

She's just a mix... Easter Egger -- is that what they're called? I think she's pretty but she goes broody more than any of the others.

I was told they were 3 days old when I got them. This photo was taken 4 days later -- presumably 1 week old. So if that looks right, then, yeah, they will be 6 weeks old this Monday.
Last night was lo 60s. Supposed to be in the 60s at night for the next few nights until Tues & Wed when its supposed to dip down to mid 50s.
One week old chicks with no momma hen need 95- 85'.Then take 5' away a week so by week two 85'. You can tell if it is too cold in your brooder, they will cuttle & gather to stay warm. If you have an area outside that is safe for them to be, like a dog kennel with hardwire cloth around the the bottom so they can not get out, they can enjoy a nice day out in the sun for a few hours. Once they are feathers out they should be fine.

At times hatcheries need to add other genes from other birds. Looks like you have a little frizzle in this batch.
Awwwwww!! That's so cute! I was wondering if she was a frizzle cause of her fluffs that curl all over the place. She looks like she slept wrong and has the worst bed head! I love it!

I don't blame them for needing to add other genes. They can't allow them to inbreed (Too horrifically) otherwise they are destroying their profit line.

ALSO I AM EXCITED OH SO MUCH! This is the first time I have EVER had an incubator with eggies in it from the lovely @BlueBaby .. The other time I hatched eggs was a long time ago in a gas oven that had a pilot light. I never even candled those babies and got two chickens (only had two eggs) and two ducks (only had two eggs) plus would have had geese and peacocks if my dad hadn't come along and cooked those last eggs.

ANYWAYS the excitement is because I saw my eggies do a little shimmy shake this morning! They are letting me know they are ready to come out and meet everyone! Hahaha I talk to them every day so when I said good morning to them this morning and saw them shake in response it was even more exciting!:wee:wee:wee

One week old chicks with no momma hen need 95- 85'.Then take 5' away a week so by week two 85'. You can tell if it is too cold in your brooder, they will cuttle & gather to stay warm. If you have an area outside that is safe for them to be, like a dog kennel with hardwire cloth around the the bottom so they can not get out, they can enjoy a nice day out in the sun for a few hours. Once they are feathers out they should be fine.
Yes. Thank you. That's basically what we did. I actually used a no-light heat lamp with a thermostat for our indoor brooder. Lowered the temp each week. I'd occasionally take them outside near the chicken run too.

After a week spending the daytime in a mesh-wrapped dog crate inside the run, they are now staying the nights out there too.

Here they are a couple days ago.

Attachments

• 20230427_191053.jpg
    20230427_191053.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 1
Less millet, which raises body heat. And clean out the shavings/straw for your coop often. The decomposing process can generate quite a bit of heat. Lots of shade, automatic waterer that is cleaned often. I would say one waterer every twenty feet (if your coop is that big).
Good to know about the millet. I had been giving them some recently as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom