Arizona Chickens

I was at Cal-Ranch today to pick up more Country Companion All-Flock pellets. They were out :eek:and said that they were having some trouble/issue at the factory. They had no idea when (if?) they would be getting more in.

I had to find an alternative. The only one that had the 20% protein (like the Country Companion does) was a Purina flock-raiser. But it was crumbles, not pellets. It was also $28.99 !!!

The employee thought flock-raiser was just another name for all-flock? Is this true? I've been avoiding layer pellets since I have a rooster and provide oyster shell on the side.

I'm leery about using crumbles with my feeder. I hope it won't spill everywhere.
Right now, I'm using the crumbles in my feed bucket and it's working ok.

I was at Cal-Ranch today to pick up more Country Companion All-Flock pellets. They were out :eek:and said that they were having some trouble/issue at the factory. They had no idea when (if?) they would be getting more in.

I had to find an alternative. The only one that had the 20% protein (like the Country Companion does) was a Purina flock-raiser. But it was crumbles, not pellets. It was also $28.99 !!!

The employee thought flock-raiser was just another name for all-flock? Is this true? I've been avoiding layer pellets since I have a rooster and provide oyster shell on the side.

I'm leery about using crumbles with my feeder. I hope it won't spill everywhere.
I used to usePurina flock-raiser as an all-flock but I think it's actually higher protien if I remember correctly. I would also use it when I wanted to collect eggs for hatching.

The All-purpose poultry I use now is a store brand - Olsen's Feed Store in Chino Valley (also Prescott Valley, Mayer and maybe Flag?) and it's 17% protein. I have a lot of roosters so I like an all-flock for simplification of my feed routine.

Crumbles are dusty and I do feed them in a round hanging feeder or a rubber bowl sometimes with a little water and they eat more of the dust. Eventually I empty dust into compost or worm bin so it doesn't completely go to waste. You also have to clean your feeders out more since it can cake if if gets wet.

It's the only video I've ever uploaded so I'm not sure how to make it play here automatically. That's all new to me...learning
I figured it out and was able to see it. The new chick seems to have a Naked Neck too. I suppose @cavemanrich will be back with his shaver again.

Ok.

Can't believe my "baby girls" are almost 7 months! Here's a photo from this eve... just because. 😋

1695610494293.jpeg

Can't believe my "baby girls" are almost 7 months! Here's a photo from this eve... just because. 😋

View attachment 3644634
They grow up fast for sure. Are you getting cooler weather over there now?

My weeds have really been growing again, so I've been pulling up the good one's to treat the flock. They really go crazy for them, and the female duck starts quaking really loud when she sees me grab the bag that I put the weeds in. I guess she's trying to tell me not to forget them.

They grow up fast for sure. Are you getting cooler weather over there now?

My weeds have really been growing again, so I've been pulling up the good one's to treat the flock. They really go crazy for them, and the female duck starts quaking really loud when she sees me grab the bag that I put the weeds in. I guess she's trying to tell me not to forget them.
It's been hovering around 100 or below, so definitely feeling nicer. Been prepping a new garden. Transplanted some yellow bells yesterday that came up on their own.

Guess it's been too dry here for the weeds. That's one advantage of no rain. :D At least you're able to make good use of your weeds!

Incuview incubator has 15 eggs that could possibly hatch today to Thursday.
3 or 4 of @BlueBaby Bielefelder eggs are starting to pip already.

This is the incubator egg count right now:
8 Bf eggs from Bluebaby (4 removed from incubator a week ago - 2 quitters, 2 infertile)
4 Bf eggs from my own flock (originally from Bluebaby)
3 Naked Neck eggs from Roger's egg layer flock (Roger, Cowgirl, Blue NN hen originally from Bluebaby).

Back
Top Bottom