Arizona Chickens

Quote:
I know nothing about this hatchery, except that they advertise alot on Craig's List. http://cchatchery.com/
I
am going to make the drive out to their place one of these days just to see the wildlife preserve - if I ever get enough FREE time.

Yes, I am planning to do that, too. May have to build a 2nd coop / run before i do, however. . . darn chickens are WAY too adictive!

The CC Hatchery guy seems nice enough. I have heard good things and bad things about his stock...but take that with a grain of salt, because I have not been out to his place and the "bad things" have usually just been innuendo from people who tend to be a little dramtic.

Currently he is in a bit of a posting war with craigslist flaggers, which is unfortunate. There are always those people who will publicly display their grievences before settling with the vendor. I saw a bit of that on BYC yesterday too. People jumping of the bang wagon to villify a person over a situation they know nothing about.

SO-when you get the time to check out CChatchery, let us know your experince---good, bad, or indifferent.

Quote:
One of the great things about having chickens is the many opportunities it presents to use our creativity. Thank you for sharing the results. It will be interesting to see what you finally come up with. Good luck!

Quote:
I know nothing about this hatchery, except that they advertise alot on Craig's List. http://cchatchery.com/
I
am going to make the drive out to their place one of these days just to see the wildlife preserve - if I ever get enough FREE time.

Yes, I am planning to do that, too. May have to build a 2nd coop / run before i do, however. . . darn chickens are WAY too adictive!

I have been to this hatchery and the conditions are terrible as well as the prices. I know someone who had to put her whole flock down because she purchased several sick chickens from this hatchery with a highly contagious virus, but she didn't really have any proof. I don't think I am willing to go back there, but thank you for your reply. People are flagging his ads because he is a breeder with high prices and the conditions are not good. Plus he does not seem very educated about his chickens. I asked him several simple questions that he could not answer. But then again, I have only visited once and it could have been at a bad time.
I know of someone else from Craigslist in the Deer Valley area that sells adult chickens, but I have never seen Cuckoo marans on her list.
Does anyone else know of a good place to purchase these chickens? Thank you for your replies.

Quote:
I think $15 for ANY type of laying or POL pullet/hen is a good price - if you can get adult marans for $15, you should go for it - they're not common (easy to find) here.

Saw your post and thought I'd let you know that I went to CCHatchery this week. Please save yourself the drive. The place is dirty and the chickens are not healthy. I bought 2 hens and 1 rooster in the evening (35 a piece for the hens, but such a long drive not to get something. The next day both hens had runny noses, I called and took the hens back, but he would not refund my money, only exchange two others from the same pen. Took the two new ones (that he picked out for me) one has rattling breathing (I'm watching it carefully and she's in a separate pen), the and the other died last night. This is all within one week. I've called him, but he won't return my calls. I don't have time to drive out there again, so just taking the hit and letting it go.

I was getting ready to throw the milk jug out, when I took a second look at the holes. I need to make them bigger. If I cut out too the edge of the circle, that would take care of the space issue. Now What to cut with?
hu.gif
I wonder if a hot knife would do the trick and maybe seal the edges. Before I throw the thing away I will give it one more go.
idunno.gif

I wonder if the Hatchery's have Cuckoo Maran pullets in stock that they could ship in small amounts. I think I would do a bit of research first. Good Luck.

Where is the Cochise County Fair At? I don't know the counties very well. I love the fairs. I think that they are the Roots of America.

I know your chicks had to love being out side. Thank goodness the weather is giving us a break. I have not had to use my mister in a week. I make sure that the wading tubs have fresh water every day as well as the drinking water. I did break down and purchase a water bottle with a nipple and hinges to hang with. It holds 32 oz. I only had to show the girls how to use it a couple of times. They caught on quick. That gizmo is what I will put ice cubes in.
gig.gif
wink.png
I will try to make one like someone posted with a web site to purchase the Nipples. $1.99, can't beat the price and she used Milk Jugs. She posted some great photos. She was also sick of Poo in the drinking water.

Last edited:
Cochise county is Southern AZ--like sierra vista, tombstone, douglas, bisbee.

Maybe you could just melt holes into the jug with a lighter? It would stink, but once it cools there would be no issue. Just rince it off.

That should work. Maybe the end of an empty glue gun? Or a scrapbook ink heater/melter thingy? Metal spoon ovre gas stove?

Apparently you didn't have that "pyro" stage during your teenage years like so many of my peers
smile.png
I guess I am more leery of the knife. DH welds so i guess I am used to "melting with precision".

Good luck!

I ended up ordering a large assortment of chicks, as I thought it would be fun to have a varied flock and a colorful egg basket. Plus, being new to chickens I didn't know what breed would do best, or I would like the best.
I ordered Delawares, Buckeyes, Easter Eggers, Andalusians, Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rocks, Australorps (2 of each breed) and a single Lakenvelder.

I live in Mesa, so I can have a total of ten chickens. A friend of mine is going to get 3 of the chicks once they are a couple of months old, and the other 2 'extras' are insurance against chicks not making it or turning out to be roos. And if all survive and are girls, I plan on trying to sell the 'extra' pullets here or on craigslist.

So...the brooder is all set up, the food and water are ready to go. I just need to get my chickies!

And do not fear, I shall do my best to take and post pics.

Update: The chicks arrived early this morning. All 15 got here healthy and happy. They found the food and water right away and are now settling down to take a nap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom