Arizona Chickens

Did anyone else deal with caliche when they were building a coop? Our yard has a thick layer of caliche right under the surface dirt/sand. We want to construct a hoop coop similar to this one. Since we can't dig down we have to build it all above ground.

That means the bottom of the coop would be hardware cloth sitting right on top of the dirt. We could try to cover it with a few inches of dirt or mulch or something. How would that affect the hens? They wouldn't be walking right on the hardware cloth all the time but it would get exposed. When scratching they'd scratching right down to it.
Why not an apron around the outside of the pen/coop. I did that, using the rabbit type fencing (2x3 graduating down to 1x3 I think). I was only trying to keep out predators and larger digging pests, not mice with this type of fencing. I used available rocks to hold it down, and wire to fasten it to the bottom of the kennel-run type of coop/run I had. I held the apron down with pavers once, but I think they attracted mice. My birds could walk over the apron but wouldn't try to dig. Of course, they only had access to that because they were free ranging.

I did put hardware cloth on the dirt floor inside a coop once, but put in a flooring of pallets covered by paneling so there was no way the birds could get at the hardware cloth. I sure don't recommend that approach!

We have a huge ground squirrel population - which I don't understand because how are these tiny little guys able to dig through the thick caliche when we have to use a jackhammer to break it up??

7264033746_243922ae3a_b.jpg

Ground squirrels and pocket gophers tunnel up into a coop and the tunnels they leave are also used by mice, rats, lizards, and snakes. That's why we need hardware cloth on the bottom of the coop.

Last edited:
We have a huge ground squirrel population - which I don't understand because how are these tiny little guys able to dig through the thick caliche when we have to use a jackhammer to break it up??

Ground squirrels and pocket gophers tunnel up into a coop and the tunnels they leave are also used by mice, rats, lizards, and snakes. That's why we need hardware cloth on the bottom of the coop.
We have a bunch of them over here too. When I see the holes they dig around the coop, I either fill them in, or dump the waterers out into those holes when I change out the dirty water.

You could also trap them and relocate them out to some woods.

Did anyone else deal with caliche when they were building a coop? Our yard has a thick layer of caliche right under the surface dirt/sand. We want to construct a hoop coop similar to this one. Since we can't dig down we have to build it all above ground.

That means the bottom of the coop would be hardware cloth sitting right on top of the dirt. We could try to cover it with a few inches of dirt or mulch or something. How would that affect the hens? They wouldn't be walking right on the hardware cloth all the time but it would get exposed. When scratching they'd scratching right down to it.
You could build a short block wall base. Stretch your hardware cloth over the flat ground so it extends just under the cement blocks. Then fill the center area with dirt, sand or whatever you prefer. Build the coop walls on top of the blocks.

I struggle with rock squirrels here and ya...they make it awfully hard to keep things out of the coop. I drop mothballs down their holes followed by rocks, then dirt. It doesn't get rid of them, but it does make them move away from that spot. I also trap and release. Watermelon makes wonderful bait for them. They can't seem to resist it. Good luck with your building!

We want to construct a hoop coop similar to this one.
Let me throw An Idea into this. I know you have the issues with the ground squirrels. There are 2 steps to take,,, for moderate prevention/control.
1. Have a 2 foot apron with HC, on the outside portion of hoop coop. Here is a pix from your link.
image_2024-01-27_012652927.png

The interior portion where your chickens will be I would not put HC. Let chickens be chickens,,, and they will scratch,,, and make dust bath holes for 2 reasons. Dusting,,, and keeping slightly cooler in summer heat.
On the Apron exterior portion,,, cover the HC with the available soil portion you can dig up/rake. 2 to 3 inches if possible. The squirrels will likely start their digging near the coop edge. The HC will stop their efforts.
2, Now lets get to the ones that succeed to dig from somewhere further. Simply place a live trap at interior of coop area. (right where the opening is at) Trap, and relocate about 1 mile distance.
I can advise you on modifying your live trap so you can catch those lil cuties safely, without harm. You will be inside your coop at least daily or so. Watch for any openings that may appear.
I can instruct you then.

Let me throw An Idea into this. I know you have the issues with the ground squirrels. There are 2 steps to take,,, for moderate prevention/control.
1. Have a 2 foot apron with HC, on the outside portion of hoop coop. Here is a pix from your link.
View attachment 3734769
The interior portion where your chickens will be I would not put HC. Let chickens be chickens,,, and they will scratch,,, and make dust bath holes for 2 reasons. Dusting,,, and keeping slightly cooler in summer heat.
On the Apron exterior portion,,, cover the HC with the available soil portion you can dig up/rake. 2 to 3 inches if possible. The squirrels will likely start their digging near the coop edge. The HC will stop their efforts.
2, Now lets get to the ones that succeed to dig from somewhere further. Simply place a live trap at interior of coop area. (right where the opening is at) Trap, and relocate about 1 mile distance.
I can advise you on modifying your live trap so you can catch those lil cuties safely, without harm. You will be inside your coop at least daily or so. Watch for any openings that may appear.
I can instruct you then.
I have one coop near the edge of my property that was a monster for rock squirrels...think because it's sandwiched between the property edge and my greenhouse. The exterior apron didn't seem to help at all with those buggers. The only thing that actually worked was burying hc about two feet down. The chickens never dug deep enough to reach it. It lasted for years and years....think about ten. Nice part of dry desert! But it did eventually give out where my water bowl sits...I always dumped and rinsed the bowl inside the coop and in the same spot. I don't even want to think about trying to replace the hc. I finally ended up digging down just in that spot and adding a large square paver over the hole and so far that seems to be enough for now...I just don't know for how long.

Anyway... I'd dearly love to hear how you handle the holes that pop up inside coops. Any and all rodent proofing is greatly appreciated!

Anyone want an Olive Egger Cockerel?(welsummer/legbar from Cackle hatchery)
He's about 10 months old.
He a great boy:
Tidbits, even over non edible things.
Finds 'nests'.
Doesn't over mate even his favorite hens.
Not aggressive to people, dogs and cats or even my other rooster. Could always change with a new environment:confused: I hope not. But I don't know how he is around kids, I would think they're also not an issue.
Good with handling.
Very good looking.
Olive egger, so he'll throw, depending on the hen, colored egg layers.
Nice sounding crow.
Has only 5 brain cells to speak of.
He takes good care of his flock while freeranging, always alert and calls them back if they go too far.
He's even good to low ranking hens.
Alerts to aerial threats such as large flying birds like ravens, waterfowl and small, low flying aircraft, also ground predators such as deer, feed sacks moving in the wind and the neighbors blind, fat, ahsmatic, geriatric pug.
Very observant, you'll never miss the UPS truck again!
Knows his name. (Zebedee/Zeb)
Why am I looking to rehome such a treasure?
He's fixated on my two (former) head hens and won't let them eat or roost with everyone else. Granted, they were merciless to him growing up but I need peace in my flock.
He also needs a warmer climate if possible, since his enormous comb and wattles are subject to frostbite.
And frankly, he's a frequent crower, though, I believe he would crow less if he didn't have the other rooster to egg him on with "who's going to have the last word" contests.
Jokes aside, he's a little rooster with great potential to be an excellent flock leader that needs a larger area than I have, and I'd hate to have him sent someplace just to be stew. He's too good to be stew.
I'm willing to deliver or at least meet halfway.
I have family that regularly works in Casa Grande, he can be shuttled pretty far south.
Thanks!
20240109_172502.jpg
20240105_131455.jpg
20231025_125434.jpg

I have one coop near the edge of my property that was a monster for rock squirrels...think because it's sandwiched between the property edge and my greenhouse. The exterior apron didn't seem to help at all with those buggers. The only thing that actually worked was burying hc about two feet down. The chickens never dug deep enough to reach it. It lasted for years and years....think about ten. Nice part of dry desert! But it did eventually give out where my water bowl sits...I always dumped and rinsed the bowl inside the coop and in the same spot. I don't even want to think about trying to replace the hc. I finally ended up digging down just in that spot and adding a large square paver over the hole and so far that seems to be enough for now...I just don't know for how long.

Anyway... I'd dearly love to hear how you handle the holes that pop up inside coops. Any and all rodent proofing is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, ours isn't a trap-and-relocate ground squirrel problem. The house we live in sat empty for a while. We inherited a whole slew of problems from that, not the least of which is an enormous and well-established ground squirrel population.

We've been fighting them for years. My guess is there are 3-4 colonies. At least one is deeply rooted under the house, we're actually worried about what they're doing to the foundation but that's another post.

The squirrels also attract snakes, hawks and other predators that would happily take a hen. That's why we're trying to construct a coop that's as predator-proof as possible.

As ChicksnMore suggested, another option is to create a cinderblock base with HC on the bottom, fill it with dirt/sand/mulch, and construct the coop on top of that.

That sounds simpler than renting a jackhammer from Home Depot to dig down two feet (I actually kind of want to try that because I'm weird, but jackhammering 300 cu ft of caliche is probably a lot more difficult than I think). 🤣

For those who have built a cinderblock base above the ground and a coop on top of it, do you have drainage issues? During a monsoon does it get water logged? We get brief but very heavy downpours. Would it trap a lot of water sitting right on caliche?

Also, did you use mortar? And how did you connect the HC to the cinder blocks?

Yeah, ours isn't a trap-and-relocate ground squirrel problem. The house we live in sat empty for a while. We inherited a whole slew of problems from that, not the least of which is an enormous and well-established ground squirrel population.

We've been fighting them for years. My guess is there are 3-4 colonies. At least one is deeply rooted under the house, we're actually worried about what they're doing to the foundation but that's another post.

The squirrels also attract snakes, hawks and other predators that would happily take a hen. That's why we're trying to construct a coop that's as predator-proof as possible.

As ChicksnMore suggested, another option is to create a cinderblock base with HC on the bottom, fill it with dirt/sand/mulch, and construct the coop on top of that.

That sounds simpler than renting a jackhammer from Home Depot to dig down two feet (I actually kind of want to try that because I'm weird, but jackhammering 300 cu ft of caliche is probably a lot more difficult than I think). 🤣

For those who have built a cinderblock base above the ground and a coop on top of it, do you have drainage issues? During a monsoon does it get water logged? We get brief but very heavy downpours. Would it trap a lot of water sitting right on caliche?

Also, did you use mortar? And how did you connect the HC to the cinder blocks?
You might also make a cement platform to build it on. (Like they do for driveways.) I would run some boards or something up the sides of the bottom so that you would be able to add your dirt to it for them to scratch and dig in.

Back
Top Bottom