Arizona Chickens

If you have a more solid wood coop, guess it will depend on how substantial/heavy it is and if its size or configuration allows for the wind to catch it well. Do you have a photo? Have you been having issues with the wind affecting it?

Hoop coop with a 14mm tarp cover.

The big box stores won't tint barn paint.

Don't even start me on them and lumber...

I didn't have a hoop coop, but for a while I had an arc--a 14 ft trampoline frame, with the 2 semicircles spaced 6 ft apart by no-climb fencing. So, the 14 ft diameter arc was covered with 2 layers of shatex 90% shade cloth. No annoying flapping in the wind, and underneath was always bone dry! This was in Black Canyon city, which has stronger winds than many areas of the state.

That's basically what I have. If you have the tarp attached to the frame, wind could catch and carry away the entire structure. That's why I don't attach our tarp directly to the hoop. It lays on top of it but the tarp is tied down to stakes in the ground. If the tarp catches the wind (and even if it pulls the stakes out of the ground), at least the main structure will be unaffected.

1710964246194.jpeg

In the photo, the black is just a shade cloth. The far back section has a silver tarp that is under the shade cloth. Both are attached with paracord to green stakes outside of the run.

You can easily tint it yourself if you don’t like white. Lots of instructions and videos online. And lumber is easily cut with a simple jig saw which aren’t particularly expensive.

Before building the brooder and coop I hadn't done any woodworking for forty years. It's been an interesting re-learning experience. What the heck happened to the quality of lumber? What we found in the local big box stores was pathetic. We had to hunt for hours in the stacks just to find wood we could kind of work with. (Note to self: bring a folding chair next time.)

The chicks are doing great, they are eating and drinking well and exploring everywhere. The dogs have minimal interest in them. They perked up their ears and cocked their heads at the chirping. We let them see the chicks in the brooder and sniff all around but after a few moments it was, "Meh." Now they walk past and hardly even look up.

I FINALLY got to change my signature to include chickens, after being on BYC almost four years! :celebrate

Last edited:
Before building the brooder and coop I hadn't done any woodworking for forty years. It's been an interesting re-learning experience. What the heck happened to the quality of lumber? What we found in the local big box stores was pathetic. We had to hunt for hours in the stacks just to find wood we could kind of work with. (Note to self: bring a folding chair next time.)

The chicks are doing great, they are eating and drinking well and exploring everywhere. The dogs have minimal interest in them. They perked up their ears and cocked their heads at the chirping. We let them see the chicks in the brooder and sniff all around but after a few moments it was, "Meh. When's dinner?" Now they walk past and hardly even look up.

I FINALLY got to change my signature to include chickens, after being here almost four years!
I think that in the old days the lumber was made to last. Now it's made more cheaply so they can have repeat customers having to buy more.

Yes, you finally have your own chickens.

Back
Top Bottom