Arizona Chickens

Well we stayed up super late last night trying to get the shop building cleaned out and I had a HUGE predator trying to bust into my chicken coop. I just knew that everyone would want to be on the look out for these so I grabbed the camera phone and hurried to get a picture. The girls are all okay but hubby will never be the same because this thing just wouldn't stop peeing while he was wrestling with it! LOL Don't worry. I told it to leave my girls alone and it agreed so I put it back where we found him.

gianttoad2.jpg

gianttoad1.jpg

For those that don't know what this is, it is a Colorado River TOAD. You can google search them if you like.

Hello all. I've finally registered as a user after reading the forums and having learned GREATLY for the last year and a half. I want to thank you all for the information you have provided, but I wonder why you didn't warn me that raising chickens was so darn addictive!
I'll be trying to get some pictures up of some of my feathered friends, their house, etc. I still have lots to learn about the site, navigation, where to post what, that kind of thing. The initials for some of the breeds still have me wondering what's what.
We're in Wittmann and have too many breeds and birds to count, not to mention the cross breeds that have occurred.
I'll check back later, time to make sure all my scorpion and cricket killers are happy.
Thanks again.
D.gif

Mahonri - two hatchers so far. They are from the blue eggs. Two of the dark eggs have pip marks. Others might have pip marks but I can't see the other side of the eggs. Things are looking good so far!

Welcome to the group Bob! Glad your joining us!!!

I still have eggs I need help incubating. I have collected 10 silkie eggs, 10 silver laced Wyandotte eggs and 3 Ameruacana eggs (EE) so far. There is a small catch with the EE eggs. I pulled my EE roo out a short time ago and put a marans rooster in with the girls. So, who knows who fertilized these eggs. Could possiblity be either or both. I'm not charging for the eggs. My husband is taking his grandmother to Chandler on Sunday and he can meet somewhere in the east valley. Please PM me if your interested in hatching these.

Bob's Henhouse: Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

ArizonaNessa: Nice Toad!

Angie: we're pretty sure a Great Horned owl ate our cat. We were seeing it on the utility pole in the back alley and in a large eucalyptus off and on for weeks and then the cat disappeared and we haven't seen the owl since. We found what we think were bits of the cat under the tree the owl would sit in.

You know after reading about the colorado river toad I am really glad they come out when everything is sleeping. They are toxic and can cause serious problems and even death in some animals. He/She was really cool to mess with though
big_smile.png

Bob: Welcome. So seldom do we get a first time post on our thread!

No Skiveez: Wahoo! Can't wait to see pics.

You know it's a full two hour job to get in the truck, drive to The Feed Barn, drive to the Pet Depot, come home and take all the feed to the feed shed. I'm bushed.

On the positive side, 7 eggs today. 3 Marans, 2 WAms, 1 LHCochin mix and 1 PW leghorn... got a polish egg yesterday.

I'm getting the itch to pull out my incubator... but I don't dare yet. DW would NOT like that.

Meaty's first egg!!!! (My first egg, well, sorta!)
lol.png

54063_img00048-20100911-1518.jpg

She was wandering around the yard all morning moaning, squatting and acting confused....then about an hour and a half ago we found this in the coop! Good girl!

thumbsup.gif

Bob's Henhouse :

Hello all. I've finally registered as a user after reading the forums and having learned GREATLY for the last year and a half. I want to thank you all for the information you have provided, but I wonder why you didn't warn me that raising chickens was so darn addictive!
I'll be trying to get some pictures up of some of my feathered friends, their house, etc. I still have lots to learn about the site, navigation, where to post what, that kind of thing. The initials for some of the breeds still have me wondering what's what.
We're in Wittmann and have too many breeds and birds to count, not to mention the cross breeds that have occurred.
I'll check back later, time to make sure all my scorpion and cricket killers are happy.
Thanks again.
D.gif

Welcome Bob's Henhouse!! And yes, they are addicting, aren't they? Just got started this year myself, and they are so entertaining!
smile.png
woot.gif

welcome-byc.gif

ArizonaNessa, we have 3 adult toads and 2 or 3 smaller ones. They are pretty cool. They like to sit in the hens water dish, or anywhere that I leave the hose running to puddle. I have floodlights in the back yard and lights in front of the henhouse so everyone can run around the yard for a few hours after dark when it's cooler. They stay in the shade, or in their house with the evap on most of the time when it's hot. But anyway, the hens leave the toads alone and vice versa. There are occasional quizzical looks when they go to get a drink though. :)

Back
Top Bottom