Arizona Chickens

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you in a city area or outside of the city?

I am outside Tucson city limits on an acre, and have desert in front and in back of my house. I have a neighbor on both sides of me.
We do have a 6 foot chain link fence around the yard, but have had coyotes and javelinas in the backyard because the front gates were open. We since put up a 6 foot fence and gate between the house and fence so the backyard is enclosed. (We have a dog who likes to venture around the neighborhood)

What is wierd is that 2 of the chickens were just dead. We didn't see any marks on them. The pullet we found between the shade screen and a roof that covers the perches. She may have freaked out and broken her neck, and the brown-red MGB was just laying on the ground. Maybe he got scared and flew into something, had a heart attack? We'll never know.
However, last night, I did notice that the chickens who usually perch on the highest perch, did not go anywhere near the perch area, but slept on top of a kennel that is on the other side of the pen. The perches are over by where the 2 chickens died, so that is why I am thinking that is where culprit got in.

Angie

Thats really sad still. We'd like to get a fence put up here. Were on an acre but its a very odd acre. We have two canals that run on our property which are maintained by the city. They are used for watering the crops. We get coyotes, dogs and cats out here. I havent seen any big cats but my friend on the other side of town has had a bob cat trapped at her place. That cat was going over there and feasting on her chickens last winter. I guess they got the mama cat and cubs. I have a funny chicken who falls over and plays dead. It was one of the chicks that got cocci and I thought it wasnt going to make it.

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you in a city area or outside of the city?

I am outside Tucson city limits on an acre, and have desert in front and in back of my house. I have a neighbor on both sides of me.
We do have a 6 foot chain link fence around the yard, but have had coyotes and javelinas in the backyard because the front gates were open. We since put up a 6 foot fence and gate between the house and fence so the backyard is enclosed. (We have a dog who likes to venture around the neighborhood)

What is wierd is that 2 of the chickens were just dead. We didn't see any marks on them. The pullet we found between the shade screen and a roof that covers the perches. She may have freaked out and broken her neck, and the brown-red MGB was just laying on the ground. Maybe he got scared and flew into something, had a heart attack? We'll never know.
However, last night, I did notice that the chickens who usually perch on the highest perch, did not go anywhere near the perch area, but slept on top of a kennel that is on the other side of the pen. The perches are over by where the 2 chickens died, so that is why I am thinking that is where culprit got in.

Angie

Ugh! I am so sorry to hear! I have been through that. I wonder what did it? The 6 foot fence won't keep coyotes or bobcats out. Tey jump it like it isn't there. But, given your discription, I don't think that was what it was. I hope you figure it out and get the coop secured so it doesn't happen again. It is never fun to discover such things.

Quote:

Angie

Ugh! I am so sorry to hear! I have been through that. I wonder what did it? The 6 foot fence won't keep coyotes or bobcats out. Tey jump it like it isn't there. But, given your discription, I don't think that was what it was. I hope you figure it out and get the coop secured so it doesn't happen again. It is never fun to discover such things.

I have a friend who lives on hte outskirts of TUcson on 3 or 5 (can't remember which) acres. She has lost birds to bobcat (she tangled with it too, and spent time in the ER for scratches to her face), raccoon, spotted skunk and something else, can't remember what. Most of the animals have found their way into her pens through the top, tearing openings where wire connects to solid structure (such as the vap cooler). Javalina wander through her yard occasionally. Lots of snakes. Lost a small dog, probably to a coyote
sad.png
Another friend in a different part of the outskirts of Tucson, also on acreage, has lots of problems with hawks, even though her brids are all penned.

We went out to feed and water tonight and still the old timer chickens wont get on the perch. They are sleeping on top of the kennel again, although there were a few chickens on the perches tonight. They will probably sleep good tonight because the light was on all night last night and most of them roamed around all night.

I have a dog in the backyard and you'd have thought he'd bark or something.
idunno.gif
Just goes to show me that I don't have a guard dog.

Angie

Quote:
Hope you had a nice hike. 108...ugh!
cool.png

My egg turner will hold 42 eggs.

We are puppy raisers for Guide Dogs for the Blind. Will it be a problem to bring our dog?

So nice to meet you, your daughter and that beautiful lab girl!!!

I hope you get as great a hatch as Beverly did. she got 15 of 18! So that would give you 30 chicks!!!

That is a LONG ways to drive! Put them right in the bator!

It was wonderful to meet you! Thank you so much, they are in the bator, nice and warm.!

I've got my fingers crossed for a great hatch.

It was a long ways to drive, but well worth the 6 hour round trip! lol We still made it home in time to milk the goats!
tongue.png

Humidity is up, dewpoint is up. Wind was bad... just got a very dirty pool and no rain. I hope the predictions of highs in the low 90s and Lows in the mid 60s is correct. Then we can scalp the lawn and put down rye seed.

I'm getting the itch to hatch. Monique (ruth) is going to sell me a couple dozen FBCM hatching eggs in December so I can add some genetic diversity to my flock. My hens are BIG, my roo is not. I want a big colorful roo.

We got a nice rain in Tucson last night. It was very comfortable to feed and water last night.

I found that our birchen OEGB is broody. We are going to let her sit on her egg because we did not get any chicks from them when our broodies were hatching eggs a few months ago.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!!!

Angie

frow.gif
Hey everyone. I just thought I would drop in and say hello and share some pretty cool news with everyone. Yesterday I was having a yard sale and something really weird happened. The fire truck loaded with 6 or so firemen from my local fire house came and parked right in front of the house. The guys at that fire house know my son and they asked about him and then informed me that they were going to be building themselves a chicken coop right there behind the fire house.
ep.gif
They bought some wire, nesting boxes, and a few other building materials from me. I just thought this was pretty neat to see the fire house getting its very own coop. In case you are wondering it is the fire house located at 35th ave and the 101.
celebrate.gif
It just excites me so much to see new people get into chickens but for a fire house to be interested that just made my whole day.

Back
Top Bottom