Arizona Chickens

Welcome chickin and Curt!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm so sorry for your troubles chickin. I don't have any ideas but I wish you luck.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hold that thought, that's not the info I found.
Here is what I found...
Here is the link to Town of Gilbert muni codes with regards to chickens:

Sec. 6-127. - Keeping of animals; restrictions.

(a)Conditions generally. It is lawful for any person to keep fowl, rodents, registered pigeons, exotic animals or livestock within the town, but only in the manner and upon the conditions set forth in this article and in the Town of Gilbert Zoning Code.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=12036&stateID=3&statename=Arizona

(a)
Conditions generally. It is lawful for any person to keep fowl, rodents, registered pigeons, exotic animals or livestock within the town, but only in the manner and upon the conditions set forth in this article and in the Town of Gilbert Zoning Code.
(b)
Exotic animals. Exotic animals shall be considered to be small livestock animals or livestock animals dependent upon their size and impact to the surrounding area.
(c)
Registered pigeons. An owner of registered pigeons is allowed to keep an additional 100 birds above the number permitted pursuant to section 2.107 of the zoning code as long as the animals are kept subject to the following conditions:
(1)
The owner of the pigeons must be a member in good standing of an organized pigeon club or a local club which has rules that will help preserve the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.
(2)
All pigeons shall be banded and must be confined to a proper loft except for limited periods necessary for exercise, training and competition. Pigeons shall not be released for flying which have been fed within the previous four hours. At no time will pigeons be allowed to remain at large or free except when under an owner's control, and at no time shall pigeons be allowed to perch or linger on the buildings or property of others.
(3)
The construction and location of a loft shall not conflict with requirements of any building code or zoning code of the town, and all spacing and setbacks will apply.
(4)
All droppings and waste shall be removed from the loft or enclosures as often as required with a minimum of two claddings per week. All lofts and enclosures must also be maintained and treated to prevent odors and/or disease.
(5)
The number of birds shall be determined by mature birds which are defined as of at least six months of age.
(d)
Suitability of enclosures; animals not permitted at large. All fowl, registered pigeons, exotic animals, rodents, livestock animals, or small livestock animals shall be kept in suitable enclosures and shall not be permitted to run at large.
(e)
Poisonous reptiles, alligators, crocodiles and swine. No poisonous reptiles, alligators, crocodiles, or swine (except Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs which are classified as exotic animals) shall be kept within the town limits.
(f)
Smells and odors; complaints. It shall be unlawful to keep registered pigeons, exotic animals, rodents, livestock animals, or small livestock animals in a residential area under conditions that permit an offensive, disagreeable or noxious smell or odor to arise therefrom. Upon complaint of any inhabitant of the town residing within 200 feet of the place where such animal is kept and such odor arises, and upon confirmation by the enforcement agent, said animal(s) shall be removed and the keeping of such animals shall no longer be permitted at that location.

Last edited:
Quote:
Where do they find the "additional zoning rule" and which zone are you in?

The section of the Town of Gilbert Land Development Code is 2.103 of Land Use Regulations. My zoning district is SF-7 which means that most of the lots in my area are between 7,000 and 8,000 sq ft. The inspector explained that it doesn't matter what the square footage of your particular lot is, what matters to the planning commission is the zone you are assigned to. But, even though Animal Raising, Non-Commercial is technically allowed in zones SF-8 and above it still isn't feasible given that, "Aviaries shall be located at least 100 feet from any property line."

Last edited:
Quote:
Hold that thought, that's not the info I found.
Here is what I found...
Here is the link to Town of Gilbert muni codes with regards to chickens:

(a)Conditions generally. It is lawful for any person to keep fowl, rodents, registered pigeons, exotic animals or livestock within the town, but only in the manner and upon the conditions set forth in this article and in the Town of Gilbert Zoning Code.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=12036&stateID=3&statename=Arizona

(a)
Conditions generally. It is lawful for any person to keep fowl, rodents, registered pigeons, exotic animals or livestock within the town, but only in the manner and upon the conditions set forth in this article and in the Town of Gilbert Zoning Code.
(b)
Exotic animals. Exotic animals shall be considered to be small livestock animals or livestock animals dependent upon their size and impact to the surrounding area.
(c)
Registered pigeons. An owner of registered pigeons is allowed to keep an additional 100 birds above the number permitted pursuant to section 2.107 of the zoning code as long as the animals are kept subject to the following conditions:
(1)
The owner of the pigeons must be a member in good standing of an organized pigeon club or a local club which has rules that will help preserve the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.
(2)
All pigeons shall be banded and must be confined to a proper loft except for limited periods necessary for exercise, training and competition. Pigeons shall not be released for flying which have been fed within the previous four hours. At no time will pigeons be allowed to remain at large or free except when under an owner's control, and at no time shall pigeons be allowed to perch or linger on the buildings or property of others.
(3)
The construction and location of a loft shall not conflict with requirements of any building code or zoning code of the town, and all spacing and setbacks will apply.
(4)
All droppings and waste shall be removed from the loft or enclosures as often as required with a minimum of two claddings per week. All lofts and enclosures must also be maintained and treated to prevent odors and/or disease.
(5)
The number of birds shall be determined by mature birds which are defined as of at least six months of age.
(d)
Suitability of enclosures; animals not permitted at large. All fowl, registered pigeons, exotic animals, rodents, livestock animals, or small livestock animals shall be kept in suitable enclosures and shall not be permitted to run at large.
(e)
Poisonous reptiles, alligators, crocodiles and swine. No poisonous reptiles, alligators, crocodiles, or swine (except Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs which are classified as exotic animals) shall be kept within the town limits.
(f)
Smells and odors; complaints. It shall be unlawful to keep registered pigeons, exotic animals, rodents, livestock animals, or small livestock animals in a residential area under conditions that permit an offensive, disagreeable or noxious smell or odor to arise therefrom. Upon complaint of any inhabitant of the town residing within 200 feet of the place where such animal is kept and such odor arises, and upon confirmation by the enforcement agent, said animal(s) shall be removed and the keeping of such animals shall no longer be permitted at that location.

It is the "and in the Town of Gilbert Zoning Code." that gets you. The rules seem VERY contradictory if you ask me. What I don't understand is why they say chickens are permissible in one section, but completely contradict themselves in another section. But the reality seems to be that chickens are not allowed in Gilbert, which goes against everything I've always assumed. I thought Gilbert was supposed to be proud of its agricultural roots, but I guess not. I hear neighborhood roosters crowing every morning, but one complaint and the chickens are history according to the code inspector I met with today.

Back
Top Bottom