Arizona Chickens

Tammy & I got up early & just spent the last 50 minutes injecting the 14 peepers that we have left ( of 19 - I had to put the last roo down this morning) and the 7 hens with inject-able penicillin.

A friend recommended Tylan which is for cattle & swine but he described our symptoms to the letter and said it cleared it up in 24 hours. He said wait a day and repeat if necessary but that should be it. Did it with a peacock and chickens in the past.

Took a while to figure out where the breast was but I think I've got it now.

Peepers got 1/4 cc and the hens got 1/2 cc

I'm out of Appenzeller Spitzhauben roos so if someone knows where a good looking roo is (with both eyes please) let me know. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure I want to introduce any new birds for a while.

How long should we wait before eating any eggs from out hens?

I figure we'll mark them, scramble 'em up and feed them back to the chickens.

Have a healthy day!

Also...

Does anyone see any reason to continue the Duramician in the water after giving them the master blaster dose of antibiotics?

I'm going to continue fogging them with Oxine to kill anything that might be in their run/pen.

Hello to everyone in Arizona! I'm just letting you know that if you have heard of a place called the Feed Barn LLC, do NOT go! I have been there on several occasions and the chickens there aren't in the best health. Last time, there were 3 huge show quality roosters crammed into one cage. Also there were to pairs of mail and females in another small cage. The chick "motels" are dirty appear to be rarely ever cleaned. A chick had it's leg caught in the door of the "motel" and was struggling to get free. Most importanly my mother purchased chicks there and I blelieve them to be the carriers of a strange disease that has a terrifying ending. A friend of ours also went there and her chicks were sick as well, but all of hers lived. Yesterday I lost four chicks. I noticed that they began to cough or gasp. Two had already died before I had come home from school, but when I saw these strange actions from the other two, I immediatelyl separated them from the rest of the flock. Half an hour later I went to medicate them with a dropper and when I pulled the first out of the crate, the second one inside began runnign around a flapping it wings. Flailing it's head it ran through the open door of the crate, jumped ontoit's back and was dead. Then as I wnet to place the first chick back in the crate it too began to run wildly about until it flipped over dead. Do not go to the Feed Barn LLC. Their chicks are not healthy. Go there for feed but not for smallstock. I believe that it is something you will regret.

Quote:
I don't know how long to wait, but I wouldn't feed the eggs back. I know it's hard, but you should probably just throw them away.
You don't want your chickens eating them because if there is medicine in them then they are getting extra and maybe prolonging the time until you can eat the eggs without worry.

I really hope this works and you have happy, healthy chick soon!

Last edited:
IMHO, treatment for such things as coryza, respiratory things, IB, etc, all need to be culled for the health and welfare of The rest of the flock. I don't mess around with that type of thing. I will treat for parasites and cocci, oh, and bumblefoot.
I do care about my birds a great deal and this is why I chose to handle it this way. I am not a vet, I cannot cure them, I practice good biosecurity and that's the best I can do.
For those of you that haven't, you should read speckled hen's 10 comandments.

As hard as it is to do and say this I fully agree with you.
When I was in my 20s I raised a good deal of cage pets. Mostly guinea pigs. If one got sick and knowing how hard and unlikely it is to cure rodents I put them down. Yes, I cried many a tear at the loss of some of my favorite animals because they were more than money makers to me but I saved a bigger heart ache doing that then loosing them all.

Mickey, I read a lot online about Tylan since reading your post. I hope it is the wonder antibiotic that everyone says it is. One reviewer described her problem that Tylan cleared uo in a couple days that sounded exactly like yours. I hope this is your answer. Tylan also comes in powder form that you add to water. I assume you used the injectible since you were looking for the breast. Powder is about $55 a bottle but it may just be worth keeping onhand since it is a broadrange antibiotic. Anyone know a local source for Tylan? From what I read the respritory and eye infections are caused by contamination of feed and water from wild birds. They recommend sanitizing all feed and water containers weekly if wild birds have access to them. I will try to post the link later for the article I read. Good luck and keep us posted!

So sorry about your chickens.....

I searched this forum but couldn't find an answer to my question....I hope someone will give me their thoughts.

Maxiumum amount of time to leave eggs in the coup before they go bad in the Arizona heat? Its starting to get hot already here and this is my first summer with my chickens. I read online that some people leave there eggs on the counter for a week and still eat them. My concern is how many times a day do I need to go to my coup to collect eggs? If there is none in the coup in the am when I feed are they still ok at 5-6pm after it being so hot during the day? I hate to throw any away but at the same time I don't want to get sick.....

Thanks to any/all --I really appreciate the advice.

So sorry about your chickens.....

I searched this forum but couldn't find an answer to my question....I hope someone will give me their thoughts.

Maxiumum amount of time to leave eggs in the coup before they go bad in the Arizona heat? Its starting to get hot already here and this is my first summer with my chickens. I read online that some people leave there eggs on the counter for a week and still eat them. My concern is how many times a day do I need to go to my coup to collect eggs? If there is none in the coup in the am when I feed are they still ok at 5-6pm after it being so hot during the day? I hate to throw any away but at the same time I don't want to get sick.....

Thanks to any/all --I really appreciate the advice.
I eat mine if I collect them the same day and I leave them on the counter for up to a week, even in the summer(2 weeks in the winter). If you are worried, you can always do the float test.
If they float they're bad. If they sink, they are fine.
Also, DON'T wash your eggs and they'll last longer. Of course, "floating" them is effectively washing them so eat them soon after you test them or refrigerate.

I check for eggs once a day in the summer in the late afternoon. I think a few days is OK. If I find a an egg and I am not sure how old it is I do the float test. If you put an egg in water it should sink to the bottom horizontal. If it is vertical it is questionable. If it floats it is not good!!

Back
Top Bottom