Arizona law / laws regarding the selling of our eggs

Good advice. I was thinking that if a few people got together to sell eggs, they could keep someone like Safeway happy. Thought it would be good to at least start a relationship. But I think your right. There are some smaller stores around here.

I don't really have all that many eggs right now, maybe two dozen a week. But hopefully that will grow in time.

A friend used to sell at a farmer's market in Tucson, and the requirements she found included a requirement that each carton be labelled with the date the oldest egg was laid (I think that was the date required). There are a number of lableing requirements, and I think there may have been some testing requirements as well. She hasn't sold eggs threr for a couple of years, so requirements could have changed. Also, some of the regs are from the feds, not the state.

The date the oldest egg was laid? That's way more requirement than mega-eggfarms selling eggs to supermarkets! When was the last time you saw an egg carton at Kroger's that told you how old the oldest egg was? Eggs can sit on a supermarket shelf for weeks, even over a month sometimes! The oldest eggs at a farmers market are likely to be much fresher.

Quote:
I don't remember the details, and was stating what I recall her saying. I do know the carton had to be date stamped. And yes, they are almost certainly newer than most grocery store eggs.

We have some natural food stores in Prescott that are small independently owned. I am also just thinking about posting on Craigslist and offering free delivery in the downtown area, by electric car.
smile.png
That might get enough attention to sell everything extra I have for now.

I was also considering labeling. My idea was to get a date stamp with my name on it, and just date stamp the egg every time I collect a fresh one. (keeping the stamp in the coop, even) The stamps are cheap it helps me keep track too. A non-toxic ink formula would be easy. I would probably just print out a new paper label to put over the entire lid of the recycled cartons. My thought was if each egg was date stamped, the consumer can decided for themselves which eggs are fresher, the local ones, or the ones trucked in a thousand miles. But I won't say "local" LOL.

I am going to go ahead and mail in the form to the State, so that that part is ready to go.

Stamping each egg is a nice touch! Here in Massachusetts, I've noticed that tomatoes that are organically grown, or local produce, or are otherwise "special," have a sticker on them at the supermarket. It's like having a designer label.
smile.png

Eggcartons.com makes custom designed ink stamps for eggs, and lots of other great stuff if you've never checked them out. I got their catalogue mailed to me, but everything is online. Take a look.
http://www.eggcartons.com/

Good luck with your entrepreneurial egg business!

Quick update. I am now selling eggs as fast I get them. Some sold to local health food store, others directly to consumers, and some to friends and neighbors. I got an inexpensive sign for the electric car, and that is getting a bit of attention, too. I also started a new website (prescotteggs.com) which has its main focus on putting local egg producers in contact directly with egg consumers. Basically, a match-making community service. But I am now concluding, I need more hens! This is fun.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, right. Congress is selflessly interested in protecting us all. I sleep much better at night, just knowing they're looking out for my well-being.

I assure you, money is the only reason congress is interested in anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom