Arizona Senate Bill 1151

luvchiksaz

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
This bill just passed in the state senate that will make it legal to have backyard chickens throughout the state....it will overrule any local poultry laws. I think it still needs to get passed by the state House of Representatives. If it passes, which I imagine it will, does it mean that HOAs will not be allowed to forbid chickens?

the bill does not address HOAs, and specifically refers to towns and cities not being able to forbid keeping poultry in single family residential zoning. Since it does not guarantee homeowners a right, but instead imposes a restriction on local government entities, i don't think it would override HOA restrictions against poultry. but a judge could rule differently, or pressure could cause the legislature to add it as a right to planned community and condominium statutes. in Arizona, a condominium vs a planned community differs in who owns the common areas, not having common walls in a multiple family residential zone. i live in a condo...on acreage ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully it will at least put some pressure on HOAs to at least reconsider their policies regarding backyard chickens. It is definetely exciting news for people living in cities that don't currently allow chickens. I live in a city that already allows chickens so it won't change that. My HOA doesn't view chickens as pets, but is currently reviewing the subject and gathering information..... So I am cautiously optimistic. I mean, how could anyone look at pictures of Silkies and many of the other breeds and not see a potential pet.

I just heard about this from someone I know and looked it up immediately. Im in the west valley and unfortunately in an HOA designated area. Hopefully something can be worked out. I gave away all of my chickens except for 1, who has been a house chicken for the past three months.

Last edited:
Sounds like a step in the right direction! I live way out in the middle of nowhere in AZ, so it doesn't affect me personally, but having experience how great it is to own chickens, I hope everyone can soon have them if they want to.

I live in an HOA that actually says you can have fowls as pets. Their words. I am however on a lot smaller than 8000 sq ft which is my cities minimum. At the same time we are workingt to ammend the city ordinance to allow lots as small as 6000 sq ft five chickens, no roosters. I cannot wait for the time when I can come out of the shadows and be legit. My neighbors on either side of me love the noises my hens make and enjoy the free eggs. That's my by off to them to not turn me in. They say it's not necessary, but I do it anyways. :)

I live in an HOA that actually says you can have fowls as pets. Their words. I am however on a lot smaller than 8000 sq ft which is my cities minimum. At the same time we are workingt to ammend the city ordinance to allow lots as small as 6000 sq ft five chickens, no roosters. I cannot wait for the time when I can come out of the shadows and be legit. My neighbors on either side of me love the noises my hens make and enjoy the free eggs. That's my by off to them to not turn me in. They say it's not necessary, but I do it anyways.
smile.png

That's very nice of you, and so worth it to be able to keep chickens!
big_smile.png

The bill includes charters - wouldn't an HOA be considered a charter? My town allows chickens and I live on an acre with horse privileges, but no chickens. Completely ridiculous! But I have 2 nasty neighbors who would put up a stink so hiding them is not an option for me.

Back
Top Bottom