Arkansas Blue egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1muttsfan, Apr 16, 2014.

1. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My Araucanas are clean faced so I don't have the lethal gene to contend with. But, I don't find them at all difficult to hatch.

2. johnderosa1

johnderosa1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    NJ
    Interesting that you guys had unusual hatches with yours. I dont remember anything unusual with mine. I am getting ready to set some univ ark eggs this weekend so i will really pay attention this time. I have a home made incubator that i added a humidity pump to and have had some great hatches since adding it. 9 out of 11 shipped Black copper marans eggs (got 14 but 3 clears) this december. I was down around 10% or lower on these eggs before. I have a heat pump water heater in my basement that sucks the moisture out of the air... Relative humidities can get down to 8-12% in my basement so i was really struggling with maintaining a reasonable level. My unit keeps it dead on and allows me to fill it without opening it. It also pumps in fresh air so i can close down most of the ventilation which makes it more energy efficient and reduces temp swings to extremely narrow ranges. Best investment ive made in a while. My bcm eggs were $20 bucks each( day olds were $85-100 each) so this hatch rate was a huge blessing!!!!

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    What pump did you get?

4. johnderosa1

johnderosa1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    NJ
    I got it from incubator warehouse. Its Digital and it was around $130 i think

5. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I have seen that auto humidifier on their website.

It is on my wish list. It is good to hear a positive review.

Thanks!

6. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC

Hi Ron. What size pen and coop are your girls in? We're having a problem with over building our coops. I just built a 10'sq quarantine coop for a trio! :) Plus they have a 10x12' outside space.

Loving those beautiful blue eggs! The birds are pretty, also!

7. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I have 4 of them in a ware chicken hutch--not very large but they have an attached run. They are not super large so they do fine in it. The boy gets to visit in the evenings--longer on the weekends.

8. KittieChick

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC

So what's the reason for limiting the boy's visitation?

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I live in a City.

10. KittieChick

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC
    After reading through this thread with great interest, I just realized that my chickens are skewed towards meat production! Delawares and Dorkings.

I'd like the chance to give the Arkansas Blue a try. What would be the best way to obtain either a trio or hatching eggs? I'm in Raleigh, NC and am willing to drive a reasonable distance. I would hate to lose a single chick to the postal service!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by